17 Years old, 6ft, 163lbs: Should I Get a Breast Reduction?

Im 17 years old, 6'0 ft tall, and weigh about 163. Im considered on the slender side since i dance.. but my bra size is a 38D, it cause pain and sometimes feel heavy for no reason, it also causes my shoulder and back pain and if i happen to carry my backpack it makes everything much heavier. i am done growing. what other option is there? im not really sure what would be a suitable bra size for my body type.

Breast reduction for painful breasts

+1

It is very common for women to suffer from chronic pain due to pendulous breasts. In your case a D cup may not be large enough to have them reduced through insurance. So, in your case I advise the Ultimate Breast Lift technique that simply transfers the weight of your breasts on to your chest muscles for instant relief. Weight transfer is a revolutionary way to relieve women from the constant tension caused by heavy breasts. This technique does not require removal of breast tissue if you are happy with your size. Patients are instantly relieved of their pain as soon as the next day. The UBL provides your breasts with architecturally sound support. Do your research. This is a great start.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction at 17 years of age

+1

If you have the surgery before you are 18, you will need a parents consent. You may lose the ability to breast feed and may lose some nipple sensation. If you are hoping to have insurance cover the procedure you may not be large enough. Usually it is approved for women that are a DD or larger, or a total removal of 500 grams or more per breast. If you are still wanting to proceed, you will probably be very happy with your results and all associated pain should disappear. Be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and ask to see before and after pictures of actual patients. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Should I Get a Breast Reduction?

+1

You should do well and feel a great deal better with a breast reduction. Two important things for young patients to know are you may lose the ability to breast feed and you may lose or reduce nipple sensitivity. Just don't have the surgery until you are sure you have had no change in breast size for at least 1 year.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Reduction in Teens

+1

From the information you have provided, I believe that you satisfy the criteria for reduction.  Your breasts are too large, and you are having pain, and you have stopped growing.  Remember the surgery is permanent and once performed, you cannot take it back.  You will reduce your chance of breast-feeding so if that is very important to you then postpone the surgery.  Otherwise, go ahead and have it done and you should do great and can expect to have good resolution of your symptoms.

Steven Holzman, MD

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.
As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.