How Long Do I Need To Quit Smoking Cigarettes Before Breast Reduction? (photo)

hi how soon can u do a breast reduction after you have seen your patient can it a week after cause i go see my dr june4th and im really hoping he does it really soon.

Quitting Smoking Reduces Plastic Surgery Complications

+2

There is evidence that stopping smoking 8 or more weeks prior to surgery reduces your risk to almost normal. That includes all forms of nicotine.

Breast Reduction and Smoking?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your pictures, I think you  maybe an  excellent candidate for breast reduction/lifting surgery.  Stopping smoking ASAP will be very important given the degree of breast ptosis and the amount of breast lifting necessary.

In my practice, I would ask that you be nicotine free for at least one month prior to surgery. This recommendation may vary from one practice to another.

How long do I need to quit smoking cigarettes before breast reduction?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a mastopexy where the viability of the nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences including blood clots. The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD