Should I Get a Breast Reduction? (photo)

I am unsure if I should get a breast reduction. I have been to one plastic surgeon but he made me feel very uncomfortable. He said it would be good, as well as my GP but I want a second opinion from a certified doctor. Enclosed are a few pictures. Please give me your opinion. I am currently 130 pounds 5'4" and a 32J

Breast reducion

+2

Thank you for posting your photos. You do have tubular, ptotic large breasts. Your nipple areola complexes are well below your infra mammary lines ( where your breasts meet chest walls) and your heavy breasts are not "tear drop " , nor are they "pear shape". Breast reduction woud, not only make your breasts balanced and more attractive, it also would make you more comfortable in your daily activities and encourages you to do more exercise. The only trade off is getting some scars on your breasts. 

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Should I Get A Breast Reduction? - Here is how to tell

+1

Although your photos demonstrate excessively large breasts  that could interfere with certain physical activities and close wear, here are the most common reasons that make a good candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery:

Candidates for Breast Reduction surgery are women who wish to have smaller breasts to achieve a more proportional appearance or to alleviate physical discomfort.  Breast reduction can correct symptoms from excessively large, heavy breasts that may cause the inability to do certain exercises, or create back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap shoulder indentations and chafing or rashes under the breasts.  Women experiencing these discomforts may benefit from Breast Reduction, also called Reduction Mammoplasty.  Furthermore, large breasts may interfere with normal daily activities or exercise and will be more comfortable when reduced.  Women who feel that their excessive breast size decreases a sense of attractiveness and self confidence, or results in unwanted attention are also candidates.

Intended Result
Also known as reduction mammoplasty, Breast Reduction is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman’s breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller.  Functional symptoms (medical problems) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation.  Mammoplasty patients will experience a more attractive contour and smaller breast size, freedom from health problems associated with excessively large breasts and improved self image. There is an extremely high rate of patient satisfaction from this surgery. They are some of the happiest group of patients we see at Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Do I Need A Breast Reduction?

+1

Your question was do I need a breast reduction?  

Because your breasts are very large, the answer may be yes.  

The usual reasons to have a breast reduction are if  the weight of your breasts is causing you to have neck pain and back pain that does not respond to physical therapy,  and/or if you feel that they are too big for your frame, perhaps even causing social embarrassment  due to unwanted attention at work, when exercising, or at the beach,  for example. 

Insurance carriers have become less and less likely to pay for breast reduction in recent years, and classify as "cosmetic" breast reductions that they covered in the past, or they insist on a course of physical therapy prior to reconsidering authorization of breast reduction surgery.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Should I get a breast reduction?

+1

You would certainly benefit from a breast reduction. The question is do YOU want a breast reduction? If you do, then do not allow an uncomfortable visit hinder you from making that decision.

Scars should not discourage you either. There is a new technique called the Ultimate Breast Reduction that reduces breasts and lifts them without a vertical scar. The results are short of remarkable. It's worth looking into. I hope this helps, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

You are a candidate

+1
If you want smaller breasts that will fit your body, you are a good candidate. It is a great procedure and most patients are delighted with the result.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast reduction candidates are among the happiest plastic surgery patients.

+1

Hi.

Your breasts are so large that, even without knowing all your personal details, I would say will look and feel much better after a well done breast reduction.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast reduction

+1

Although your photos suggest a disproportionate size to your breasts, they also suggest that you could possibly improve your fitness. While this may not appreciably reduce the size of your breasts, it may make the end result more predictable, longer-lasting, and safer. Once you reach your optimal level of fitness and achieve a healthy and stable lifestyle, you can assess the health and aesthetic benefits of a reduction or lift.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast Reduction

+1

There are two main reasons to get a breast reduction. The first would be to help alleviate back and shoulder pain. The second would be if you do not like the appearance of your breast and you feel that are too large for your frame. There are trade-offs with any plastic surgery procedure and the most common concern is the scars. You will need to weight the risks and benefits and determine what is best for you. A board certified Plastic Surgeon who frequently performs this procedure can help you to determine what is best for you.

David L. Abramson, MD

Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery.

+1

You would absolutely benefit from breast reduction surgery.  Not only will experience a releif of the heavy weight of your breasts from your neck back and shoulders but more importantly you will experience an improved self esteem.  You will be able to wear cloths that you had never before considered wearing, and shopping will be less of a chore.  There are always tradeoffs or risks with surgery, but in the long run you will be happier and feel better about yourself.  Insurance may cover your proceedure but the process to get approval may be time consuming.  Above all, select a surgeon with whom you feel comfortable.  Good luck.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction candidate

+1
Yes, you are an excellent candidate for the surgery. If you felt uncomfortable with the surgeon to whom you were recommended, definitely see others. Breast reduction surgery has an extremely high patient satisfaction rate. It is also an investment in your health as women with excessively large breasts cannot tolerate exercise and have long term back problems, Best wishes.

Robert L. Kraft, MD