What is the Process of Removing Implants and Performing a Breast Reduction at the Same Time?

I had a breast lift with implants after my 1st child. I didn't need the implants but i got them anyway. My surgeon said i had enough breast tissue. I'm going to have my breast reduction on 9/20/11. My doctor is going to take of 700-100cc along with the implant. Will i be a c cup and will he use the old incision for the reduction? Will he also lift the breast?

Breast Reduction After Augmentation Is Risky

+1

There is a much higher risk of necrosis with a breast reduction performed at time of implant removal (or even with a previous history of augmentation).  The problem lies in the fact that the implant has disrupted some of the normal blood supply to the nipple-areoar area.  Any sort of incision used in a breast reduction will further interfere with this blood supply.  If you have this done, the incision sites need to be very carefully selected.

Implant removal and breast reduction on same day

+1

Hi,

It would be nearly impossible to answer your questions without pictures. I can only guess that your surgeon will use existing scars to perform your reduction. Unfortunately, you are a prime example of why I never suggest implants to lift breasts. In my experience implants do more damage than good. It is unfortunate that women are not warned of the distortion implants cause on breast tissue in the long run.

FYI, please make sure your implants are behind the muscle before you go forth with the reduction. Having implants in front of the muscle devascularizes the breast mound making it difficult for a breast reduction procedure successful. Best regards, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

Most of your questions are best answered by the plastic surgeon who is scheduled to perform your surgery. Generally, however most surgeons will use previous incisions as much as possible to perform the planned breast reduction procedure. A “lift” occurs along with the breast reduction procedure.

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.