Hard Mass After Breast Reduction

Hi I had breast reduction surgery on December 13th. I had a lot of bleeding and a huge mass in my left breast. The nurse called the Dr. He said it was fine, I still have this mass. When I went to post op appointment he saw that my bruising was black he shoved a needle in went surching for fluid. He found nothing. I called back because I had alot of bleeding it soacked the padding, they said it was fine. I still have some discharge almost my entire left breast is a hard mass. is this normal?

Hematoma after Breast Reduction?

+1

Based on your description and picture it is likely that you have experienced a hematoma after the breast reduction procedure. Surgical drainage may be helpful.   Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Hard mass in breast

+1

It is difficult to tell without an exam but it sounds like from your description and photo that you may have a large hematoma and usually those need to be evacuated.  Check with your doctor.

Hard Mass post breast reduction

+1

It appears that this hard mass is a hematoma that should be evacuated.   In order to prevent longterm sequelae, it may be worthwhile to undergo an exploration under anesthesia of the breast to resolve this problem.   At the very least, an imaging study to confirm the the diagnosis is indicated.   I wish you a safe recovery.

Paul S. GIll, M.D.

GIll Plastic Surgery

Houston Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Paul S. Gill, MD

Mass post reduction

+1

Is this normal?No but it is in the sense it probably represents and old hematoma or collection of blood that in time will go down.Warm compresses and massage may help it's resolution.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Hard mass after breast reduction

+1

Difficult to tell from photograph, but hard mass can be big blood clot that should be surgically evacuated, smaller blood clot that may resorb spontaneously, fat necrosis, or perhaps a combination of these problems, or another problem.

See your surgeon again to clarify.  An ultrasound of the area will show a hematoma, and define its dimensions.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast reduction

+1

Unfortunately, photos can be deceiving; however, your photo looks like a hematoma.  If a needle was unable to locate a hematoma, it is possible that it had already clotted.  The problem is whether it was growing in size, indication that there is active bleeding.  Sometimes, the hematoma can be drained once the blood clot(s) has liquefied.  A surgery, for evacuation of the blood clots, may be necessary.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Massive Bleeding after Breast Reduction

+1

Regarding: "Hard Mass After Breast Reduction  Hi I had breast reduction surgery on December 13th. I had a lot of bleeding and a huge mass in my left breast. The nurse called the Dr. He said it was fine, I still have this mass. When I went to post op appointment he saw that my bruising was black he shoved a needle in went surching for fluid. He found nothing. I called back because I had alot of bleeding it soacked the padding, they said it was fine. I still have some discharge almost my entire left breast is a hard mass. is this normal?"

You APPEAR to have had a significant amount of bleeding in the breast accounting for the bruising. Since your surgeon is the only one here who actually examined you, it would be both unfair and presumptuous for us to diagnose you and second guess him.

Generally speaking, women who present with so much bruising and a "hard mass" have a significant hematoma (blood collection). In the early stages, a hematoma cannot be suctioned with a syringe because the blood is too thick and jelly like. Sticking a needle and "looking" for a hematoma may therefore not be reliable when you cannot suck anything even if the needle is in the blood collection. The best solution is to take the patient back to the operating room to remove blood clots, wash the wound, control any active bleeding points and close the wound.The pain relief is immediate and they heal rapidly.

You may wish to ask your surgeon if he thinks you would do better with a re-operation and removal of the hematoma.

Dr. Peter Aldea