Breast Reduction 3 Weeks Post-op - Fluid-Filled Blister on Nipple/Areola

I had three weeks ago a breast reduction and i did everything what the doctor told me.Rest.a week ago my aerola and nipple had a big blister filled with fluid.but no drainage. I went to the doc for a follow up because i was really concerned about this.plus it changed color it changed to real dark brown..he drained the blister with a needle and put new gauze and .now week later.it change dark brown.real dark almost black.doctor said it happens.I'm worried:(

Breast Reduction Complication?

+1

Is it difficult to know exactly what is going on without direct examination. However, based on your description of the physical exam changes and the timeline involved it seems that you have had problems with the blood flow to the nipple/areola complex. Your description is most consistent with the superficial skin suffering from the act of blood flow ( forming a blister). Hopefully the underlying nipple/areola complex and breast tissues have remained viable.

Continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon is your best option.

Breast Reduction

+1

Fluid blisters suggest epidermolysis which is a peeling off of skin in a traumatized area with insufficient blood supply.  You may lose some skin so be sure to see your surgeon to help care for the wound to minimize tissue loss.  I hope this info helps.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Implications of blisters and a black nipple-areola complex

+1

From what you are describing, it sounds like you had some vascular compromise of your areola. What this means is that there was not an adequate enough blood supply to or outflow from your nipple resulting in a certain amount of tissue loss. This is evidenced by the black color that you described.

The best thing to do at this point in time is dressing changes as recommended by your surgeon and conservative treatment with removal of non-viable tissue when indicated. This will ultimately heal with the final appearance being related to how much of the nipple-areola complex was black.

Depending on the extent of involvement, further reconstructive procedures may need to be considered to further improve the results.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Nipple-Areola Blister turns black after breast reduction.

+1

You likely will have an area of tissue loss that will heal ober 4 to 6 weeks.   It does happen and can be brought to a happy ending.  Do as your doctor advises.  You will be fine.   Dr George Commons, MD

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

+1

Sounds ominous, a posted photo would help. But any severe changes in color is indicative od vascular compromise to your N/A complex. Seek immediate medical care.