Breast Reduction - Oozing Hole?

Had a breast reduction in the spring. Had a small hole open along the scar, blood/pus etc. Kept it clean and it healed. Breast started to hurt/itch last week. Three days ago a small "bruise" showed up on the same spot and the next day started to seep. Still open and oozing a bit. Keeping clean and using polysporin. Is it another stitch coming out and when do I go see my doctor?

Breast Reduction and Incision Opening?

+1

Openings along the breast reduction incisions are not uncommon. Follow-up with your plastic surgeon is  indicated to evaluate the cause of the opening.  A treatment plan can then be determined.

Drainage after breast reduction

+1

Small wound problems are fairly common after a breast reduction. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. I would follow closely with your doctor as well.

Intermittent drainage following breast reduction

+1

It is common for breast reductions to have areas of intermittent drainage due to suture reactions or small areas of fat necrosis. You should see your surgeon the ensure that this is the problem.

Wound healing problems after breast reduction

+1

It is possible to have skin edge separation and wound healing problems after breast reduction surgery. Any condition which involves discharge from the incisions needs to be evaluated as soon as possible by your plastic surgeon for appropriate intervention.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Late wound after Breast Reduction

+1

Wounds that show up four, five or six months after surgery are usually due to a deep stitch as you expect.  Often the deep stitch that is used is PDS, a stitch that takes 8 or more months to be fully absorbed by the body.  The body will try to "push" the stitch out by moving it to the surface.  This is what causes the late wound. 

Go see your surgeon.  He may want to open it up to remove the stitich so it will heal.  The scarring would be better as well.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Go see your surgeon

+1

sounds like a stitch abscess.  see your doctor for an exam and some advice.   are you treating the scars ?   gs

Grant Stevens, MD