Why Would You Need a Breast Reduction with the Removal of the Under Portion of Breasts for Hidradenitis Suppertiva?

I have suffered with Hidradenitis Suppertiva for years, particularly under the breast area. I have taken numerous medications all to no avail. I have also had numerous lancings of the affected areas. My dermatologist has sent me to a plastic surgeon for the removal of the diseased area under both breasts and the surgeon says without a reduction as well, I would be deformed. My insurance does not want to pay for the reduction so I am appealing and need to include the importance of the reductio

Breast Reduction and Hidradenitis Suppurtiva?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty you have experienced with hidradenitis suppurtiva.  Without direct examination or viewing pictures it is hard to give you precise advice. I'm assuming that the plastic surgeon who has seen you is concerned about excising “diseased areas” under the breasts and achieving a pleasant aesthetic result. He may be thinking that the breast reduction surgery will allow you to have the area excised and achieve aesthetically pleasing breasts at the same time.

Best wishes achieving coverage through your insurance. Don't hesitate to ask any of your plastic surgeon consultants the rationale behind their recommendations.

Hidradenitis and breast reduction

+1

If you truly have active hidradenitis it may not be a good idea to have a breast reduction at the same time.