Teen Breast Reduction

I am 14 years old but my breasts have given me a lot of problems: back pain, shoulder pain, extremely bad posture etc. My breasts already sag like about 3 inches and I have been talking to my mom, and I'd really like to get a Breast reduction. I was wondering if I'm qualified, what are some of the downsides, method to be used, how much scarring could I expect, and how long is the healing time approximately in my case. Thank you.

The breasts may continue to grow

Although it can be performed for girls at your age, the real question is that you may require an additional operation at a later date to correct further growth or sagging.

If you are considerably in pain and discomfort, you may benefit from the operation. However, it is very likely your breasts will continue to grow. Think seriously about the operation.

Teen breast reduction

It is safe for you to have a breast reduction once you are done growing. For teenagers, I typically wait until age 16 for appropriate candidates. Part of this has to do with the maturity required to handle major surgery and the rest are medical considerations. Remember that this is elective surgery, which means that it is a choice not an emergency. There is a condition that causes breasts to continue growing even after surgery is done and you need to be properly diagnosed. I advise you to see a plastic surgeon to determine if you are a candidate now versus later.

Orna Fisher, MD

Teens for breast reduction

First of all this issue should be discussed with you and your parents together. Together you should seek the advice of an board certified plastic surgeon .While it is true that you may continue to grow, you may be well served with a breast reduction, sooner rather than later.Upon examination and consultation your surgeon will discuss the benefits and the risks with you and your parents so that you will be educated enough to make a decision about when and if this is the right procedure for you. If you are having pain and your breast size is affecting you in your social life, you could be a candidate for breast reduction surgery. I have a few patients under 18 and all of them stated that they benefited from a breast reduction. Every one of the has stated that they are able to be more active and all are less self conscience about the size of their breasts.

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Breast reduction can certainly help you, however you should see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for a medical consultation to find out if this is right for you. During the consultation, you'll discuss the risks associated with the procedure so you can make an informed decision. You will also require a parent or guardian to accompany you during your consultation, as you are a minor.  

Teens and Breast Reduction

This first step was discussing your concern with your parents. Together you should seek the advice of an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  Upon examination and consultation your surgeon will be able to discuss the benefits and the risks with you and your parents so that you will be educated enough to make an informed decision about when and if this is the right procedure for you. I have a few patients under the age of 18 who greatly benefited from a breast reduction. Every one of the has stated that they are able to be more active and all are less self conscience about the size of their breasts.  Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Can Help, Even at a Young Age

While it is true that you may continue to grow, you may be well served with a breast reduction, sooner rather than later.

If you are having pain and your size is affecting you socially, you may be a candidate for breast reduction surgery.

Discuss with your parents and consult an expert.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Juvenile Breast hypertrophy

I would disagree with most of the answers given.  It you are having back and shoulder pain already, I would look in your local area for a plastic surgeon willing to undertake your problem.  The biggest problem you face is that Juvenile hypertrophy of  has a tendency to continue to grow and you may have to repeat the surgery in a few  years.  I encourage to seek advice from a skilled surgeon.  You are 13 and this condition can persist into your mid twenties.  Why waste your youth and not participate in school activities for an 8 to 10 year period.

I have performed such an operation on over 8 patients who were under the age of 18.  They loved their result and one of the girls received a scholarship to play tennis at UCLA.  She would no have been able to this without the surgery.  When asked about the scars, her reply to men has always been "I had to much of a good thing."

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)

BR

Breast reduction, or reduction mammaplasty patients are among the most satisfied of all plastic surgery patients. Large breasts (macromastia) can often decrease quality of life for a woman. With breast reduction, you can have smaller breasts that sit higher on your chest wall. You will also find relief in your neck and back with the decrease in weight and more ergonomic position of your breasts.
There are several different variations of breast reduction, differing by size, and amount of incisions; procedure; and the results. The different types of reduction techniques include: The wise pattern breast lift, the anchor shaped incision, and the donut mastopexy.
1. The wise pattern breast lift involves an anchor-shaped incision around the natural contour of the breast. To most patients surprise, this scar is mostly hidden under the inferior aspect of the breast. However, the scar around the nipple/areola is visible. Most patients heal this anchor type scar very well and are satisfied with smaller areola in exchange for the scars. This surgery is used when there is a lot of excess skin that needs to be removed in order to lift the breast and give it a more aesthetic shape.
2. Often times, the anchor shaped incision can me diminished to create a lollipop or J shaped incision. This results in some excess skin at the inferior aspect of the breast near the breast crease that will flatten out over a 6 month period. Some patients are willing to tolerate this excess skin for 6 months in exchange for a smaller scar. This is a personal decision that each patient can make.
3. The donut mastopexy involves creating an incision around the areola and removing a doughnut-shaped area of skin. This surgery can be used for patients that need a smaller amount of lifting. This surgery results in a scrunched-up look to the breast skin surrounding the areola for about 6 months before it flattens out. Patients need to be understanding and tolerant of this in exchange for an areola-only scar. These patients do run the risk of areola widening as well.
Insurance may cover some of these cases when back pain, shoulder bra-notching, and rashes under the breast are present. Insurances vary though and your doctor can submit a report and photos to see if your insurance approves your procedure.
The risks of the procedure include bleeding, infection, bruising, poor scarring, pain, swelling, and changes to nipple and areola sensation, and rarely, partial or total nipple loss. The recovery time is usually a couple weeks if all goes well. In general, however, breast reduction patients are some of the most satisfied and grateful plastic surgery patients. This is truly a life-changing procedure. In my area, the cost ranges from 6700-8500. Best of luck!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Teen Breast Reduction

It's always logical to tell people to wait until initial breast growth is complete before breast reduction.  The truth is that some people are so symptomatic whern they're young that there are benefits even in young teens.  There is, however, a chance that further reduction will be necessary as you grow.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction A Possibility

If the breasts are very large and they are causing significant physical or emotional pain, then a reduction is possible, even as a teen.  Of course this would require some thoughtful reflection by you, your parents, and board certified plastic surgeon.