Teen Breast Reduction

I am 14 years old but my breasts have given me a lot of problems: back pain, shoulder pain, extremely bad posture etc. My breasts already sag like about 3 inches and I have been talking to my mom, and I'd really like to get a Breast reduction. I was wondering if I'm qualified, what are some of the downsides, method to be used, how much scarring could I expect, and how long is the healing time approximately in my case. Thank you.

Teens and Breast Reduction

+2

This first step was discussing your concern with your parents. Together you should seek the advice of an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  Upon examination and consultation your surgeon will be able to discuss the benefits and the risks with you and your parents so that you will be educated enough to make an informed decision about when and if this is the right procedure for you. I have a few patients under the age of 18 who greatly benefited from a breast reduction. Every one of the has stated that they are able to be more active and all are less self conscience about the size of their breasts.  Best wishes!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Can Help, Even at a Young Age

+2

While it is true that you may continue to grow, you may be well served with a breast reduction, sooner rather than later.

If you are having pain and your size is affecting you socially, you may be a candidate for breast reduction surgery.

Discuss with your parents and consult an expert.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Juvenile Breast hypertrophy

+2

I would disagree with most of the answers given.  It you are having back and shoulder pain already, I would look in your local area for a plastic surgeon willing to undertake your problem.  The biggest problem you face is that Juvenile hypertrophy of  has a tendency to continue to grow and you may have to repeat the surgery in a few  years.  I encourage to seek advice from a skilled surgeon.  You are 13 and this condition can persist into your mid twenties.  Why waste your youth and not participate in school activities for an 8 to 10 year period.

I have performed such an operation on over 8 patients who were under the age of 18.  They loved their result and one of the girls received a scholarship to play tennis at UCLA.  She would no have been able to this without the surgery.  When asked about the scars, her reply to men has always been "I had to much of a good thing."

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)

The breasts may continue to grow

+2

Although it can be performed for girls at your age, the real question is that you may require an additional operation at a later date to correct further growth or sagging.

If you are considerably in pain and discomfort, you may benefit from the operation. However, it is very likely your breasts will continue to grow. Think seriously about the operation.

Teen Breast Reduction- more popular than ever

+1
Many teens are seeking information about Breast Reduction because they have heard that this operation will reduce the symptoms they have related to the large size of their breasts. And doing the operation sooner rather than later lowers the risk of long term back pain for some. This is something that can be done on a break from school so that you do not need to miss any classes.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Teen breast reduction

+1

Thank you for your question!  I hope that these answers help in making your decision.  You suffer from juvenile hypertrophy of the breasts, which is typically treated by breast reduction.  It is not uncommon to have the symptoms that you describe such as neck/back/shoulder pain as well as infections/rashes and shoulder grooving, especially in teenagers once her breasts begin to fully develop.  

Once one begins to have the symptoms that you state above, consideration for a surgical procedure to ameliorate your symptoms, assist with self esteem, and allow you to get back to physical activities in your youth should be done.  Given your symptoms,  you would be an ideal candidate.  You must first discuss with your parents and pediatrician, and then consulting with a plastic surgeon for evaluation and examination to assist you in deciding if this would be the right thing for you.  Your surgeon will also go over what to expect as well as the risks and benefits of the procedure.  Overall, your symptoms should be ameliorated almost immediately and hopefully give you more self confidence and an increased activity level.  Your breasts may still continue to grow over the next several years, but it is certainly reasonable to consider this at this age with the issues that you are having.  I hope that this helps!  Good luck with your decision!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Teenager question about breast reduction surgery

+1
If you have extremely large breasts you may be a candidate for a breast reduction even at an early age. I usually like to have a patients breast growth to be stable for one year prior to considering a breast lift. If there is significant hormonal stimulation the breasts can get bigger after a breast reduction. Best to consult a plastic surgeon with your parents along for the consultation.

Teen breast reduction

+1
From your description, you sound like a perfect candidate for a breast reduction,  I would suggest that you and your parents meet with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss the procedure, risks, and recovery. Having the reduction at your age can save you a lot of neck and shoulder pain, but your breasts may change, especially with pregnancies.  Good luck to you.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

How old do I have to be to have breast reduction surgery?

+1

I recommends waiting until you are at least 18 years old and your body has finished developing to have any kind of cosmetic surgery. However, in a few rare cases, very large breasts which develop early can cause sever back problems and skeletal deformity. Under those circumstances breast reduction may be appropriate at a younger age to prevent life-long health problems.

Bryan Gawley, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Teenage Breast Reduction Surgery: If Your Breasts Have Stopped Growing, You May Be a Very Likely Candidate for Surgery

+1

Breast reduction is one of the most rewarding surgical procedures performed by a plastic surgeon.  Normally when a woman presents with request for a breast reduction she is suffering from problems with back, neck, and shoulder pain, and often irritation under the fold of the breast.  Breast reduction is very effective and predictable in alleviating these problems. When a teenager presents with a request for breast reduction, many things have to be taken into consideration.  The most important question is “have the breasts quit growing?”  It is ideal to know that the breasts have not changed in size for at least the last eight months.  If this fact is established, then it is unlikely that future growth will occur.  Although the procedure of breast reduction is very rewarding for most patients, complications can occur.  There will definitely be scarring of the breasts, there could be loss of feeling to the nipple, and it may impair future breastfeeding.  It is important that the teenager be mature enough to fully understand and comprehend these risks.  It's important to emphasize the potential scarring that may occur considering that the teenager still has all of the aspects associated with courtship ahead of her.  Many times, the teen has never had a breast exam performed.  It is best to first tell them exactly what is going to occur during the examination and evaluation to help put them at ease.  If the teenager has a significant problem with large breasts and demonstrates sufficient maturity, then a breast reduction can be a life changing experience.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon