Teen Breast Reduction

I am 14 years old but my breasts have given me a lot of problems: back pain, shoulder pain, extremely bad posture etc. My breasts already sag like about 3 inches and I have been talking to my mom, and I'd really like to get a Breast reduction. I was wondering if I'm qualified, what are some of the downsides, method to be used, how much scarring could I expect, and how long is the healing time approximately in my case. Thank you.

Teens and Breast Reduction

+2

This first step was discussing your concern with your parents. Together you should seek the advice of an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  Upon examination and consultation your surgeon will be able to discuss the benefits and the risks with you and your parents so that you will be educated enough to make an informed decision about when and if this is the right procedure for you. I have a few patients under the age of 18 who greatly benefited from a breast reduction. Every one of the has stated that they are able to be more active and all are less self conscience about the size of their breasts.  Best wishes!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Can Help, Even at a Young Age

+2

While it is true that you may continue to grow, you may be well served with a breast reduction, sooner rather than later.

If you are having pain and your size is affecting you socially, you may be a candidate for breast reduction surgery.

Discuss with your parents and consult an expert.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Juvenile Breast hypertrophy

+2

I would disagree with most of the answers given.  It you are having back and shoulder pain already, I would look in your local area for a plastic surgeon willing to undertake your problem.  The biggest problem you face is that Juvenile hypertrophy of  has a tendency to continue to grow and you may have to repeat the surgery in a few  years.  I encourage to seek advice from a skilled surgeon.  You are 13 and this condition can persist into your mid twenties.  Why waste your youth and not participate in school activities for an 8 to 10 year period.

I have performed such an operation on over 8 patients who were under the age of 18.  They loved their result and one of the girls received a scholarship to play tennis at UCLA.  She would no have been able to this without the surgery.  When asked about the scars, her reply to men has always been "I had to much of a good thing."

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)

The breasts may continue to grow

+2

Although it can be performed for girls at your age, the real question is that you may require an additional operation at a later date to correct further growth or sagging.

If you are considerably in pain and discomfort, you may benefit from the operation. However, it is very likely your breasts will continue to grow. Think seriously about the operation.

Teens for breast reduction

+1
First of all this issue should be discussed with you and your parents together. Together you should seek the advice of an board certified plastic surgeon .While it is true that you may continue to grow, you may be well served with a breast reduction, sooner rather than later.Upon examination and consultation your surgeon will discuss the benefits and the risks with you and your parents so that you will be educated enough to make a decision about when and if this is the right procedure for you. If you are having pain and your breast size is affecting you in your social life, you could be a candidate for breast reduction surgery. I have a few patients under 18 and all of them stated that they benefited from a breast reduction. Every one of the has stated that they are able to be more active and all are less self conscience about the size of their breasts.

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1
Breast reduction can certainly help you, however you should see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for a medical consultation to find out if this is right for you. During the consultation, you'll discuss the risks associated with the procedure so you can make an informed decision. You will also require a parent or guardian to accompany you during your consultation, as you are a minor.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Reduction A Possibility

+1
If the breasts are very large and they are causing significant physical or emotional pain, then a reduction is possible, even as a teen.  Of course this would require some thoughtful reflection by you, your parents, and board certified plastic surgeon.  

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Teen Breast Reduction

+1
Thank you for your question. I agree that you should have a discussion with your parents regarding breast reduction surgery.  Depending on the type of symptoms and duration you may benefit from a breast reduction. Benefits of a breast reduction can include decreased pain and the ability to find clothes that fit better. The possible downsides  to a breast reduction can include scarring, numbness, wound healing problems, inability to breast feed and infection. The most common types of reduction either involve a vertical or upside down T incision. It is possible that you might require a further reduction in the future. In my opinion a reduction is a great operation for the correct patient. It is important to document non operative treatment prior to surgery. Good luck.

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction in Teenage Women

+1
There are several unique differences to consider when evaluating a young woman for breast reduction surgery.
The bottom line is this:
- you may need another breast reduction or breast lift in the future after pregnancy
- you may have difficulty breastfeeding

The scar patterns are identical regardless of the age of the patient and healing is usually complete in about 4 weeks.

If I am performing a breast reduction under the age of 18, the patients' primary concerns must be related to discomfort surrounding the size of the breast (rashes, back/neck/shoulder pain) and not to the position of the breast (or breast drooping).

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Teen Breast Reduction- more popular than ever

+1
Many teens are seeking information about Breast Reduction because they have heard that this operation will reduce the symptoms they have related to the large size of their breasts. And doing the operation sooner rather than later lowers the risk of long term back pain for some. This is something that can be done on a break from school so that you do not need to miss any classes.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon