What Breast Reduction Technique(s) Are the Same for Men As Women?

How is recovery different for men than for women after breast reduction?

Male breast reduction surgery

+1

Liposuction and direct excision of the glandular tissue are the most common techniques for male breast reduction.  At issue for some men is the management of the redundant skin.  It is very important that the technique does not cone or feminize the male breast shape.  Surgery takes two weeks to fully recover.   Usually 6 weeks of quiet activity is required before returning to full exercise..

Male breast reduction

+1

Male breast reduction most often is done with liposuction and some gland excision through and incision around the areola.  Recovery is usually pretty rapid.

Some guys who have really large chest or have lost a lot of weight also need the more extensive incisions and dissection as done with reductions in women. 

It really depends on the patient's anatomy, pain tolerance and the ability to follow instructions (a challenge for the men near and dear to me).

Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon.  Male gynecomastia reduction can be a tricky operation.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Breast reduction (gynecomastia) techniques

+1

Male breast reduction surgery is usually corrected with liposuction or gland resection. Sometimes a thin resection needs to be done depending on the degree of gynecomastia. Most men recover within a week of surgery.

Donna Rich, MD

Breast reduction for men

+1

There are a few techniques I have used for gynecomastia. A picture will ensure the best possible advise for you. Some cases could be simply managed with liposuction alone. Or, some may just require excess skin removal. It all depends on your particular case. I always opt for the least scars. On average, men seem to recover much faster than women.  Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction in men and women

+1

FOr men there are several variations to treat gynecomastia including liposuction to more involved methods similar to femal breast reductions. If just lipo, then the recovery is fairly quick.

+1

Gynecomastia (Man Breasts, Moobs) is treated differently based on its severity; Liposuction, Liposuction with breast gland resection or mastectomy. On the other hand, Breast Reduction in women removes a large amount of excess breast tissue and skin to achieve a more proportionate appearing breast. For the most part, women recover faster than men do. But the recovery rates are largely equivalent and I suggest you take 7-10 days off from a desk job.

Breast Reduction Recovery Men versus Women?

+1

It is hard to answer your question precisely because I am unclear as to what you are referring to  when you say male  breast reduction surgery. There are a variety of different techniques available for “male breast reduction"  surgery depending on the patient's anatomy. The more minor  the “deformity” the less the recovery (for example after correction of gynecomastia).  Female breast reduction surgery generally involves more dissection and incision lines and is associated with more discomfort/recovery time compared to male breast reduction surgery.