I Have Had Breast Reduction Surgery, and Was Not Told to Wear a Compression Vest?

Hey all, I had surgery to to remove fatty tissue from underneath my nipple (as I suffer from gynecomastia). I was not told to wear a compression vest immediately after the surgery, and have only since found out (through my own research) that I must wear one, It has now been 2 and a half days since my surgery - will this effect the outcome? NB: I am now wearing a compression vest, but is it too little too late? :(

Follow your surgeon's instructions

+1
It's best to listen to your surgeon. I generally recommend patients wear a support garment for 6 weeks - night and day for the first three weeks, and then during the day for another three weeks. 

The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery

+1
The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery depends upon how much work was done and the degree of redundant breast tissue and skin that you have. This is a question best answered by your plastic surgeon.

Gynecomastia and compression garments

+1

The general standard is of course to wear a compression garment as you have already heard. There is simply no good reason not to. It keeps down the swelling and bruising. It is also a good idea to keep ice packs on for a day or two under the compression garment. It dramatically cuts down on pain and the ice causes the blood vessels temporarily shrink up so once again less bleeding and bruising. I myself asked patients to wear the compression for about two weeks except for showering.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery and bra?

+1

Every surgeon is a bit different in terms of  what type of post-op garment a patient should wear. Some do not even use a bra.