Should I Have a Second Breast Reduction Surgery?

I'm 19 and I just had a breast reduction surgey only 7 months ago,3 months ago I started to notice that my new bras weren't fitting right,and that i had the pains in my ribs and shoulders again,I made an appointment with my doctor and he informed me that my boobs did grow back not as big as what i was before the surgery He suggested having another surgey so i'm wondering what the risks are and Should i actually go through it all again

Breast reduction surgery

+1

Although not common, it is possible for the breasts to continue to grow and increase size after breast reduction surgery and it is more likely in younger women.  Since you are only 7 months out from your original surgery, I would recommend healing for at least one year.  Not only does it take time for the tissue to heal, but also for your body image to mature.  

Other issues to consider are weight gain.  That certainly could impact the size and growth of your breasts.  

If indeed you feel that your breasts have increased in size then a second reduction surgery would be an option.  But also consider liposuction as a means to reduce the volume.  

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Repeat breast reduction

+1

There are many reasons why your breasts may have increased in size, which have already been mentioned in other responses to your question.  Other possibilities:

1. your breast development was not complete at the time of surgery.  Breast growth can continue for some women into their early twenties
  2. pregnancy

I would strongly recommend that you consult your primary care physician, as well as any specialists he/she may recommend to be sure that you do not have any underlying medical condition causing the regrowth of your breasts.  If everything turns out normal, I would recommend waiting until you are sure that your breast size has been stable for at least one year, before considering repeating the procedure.

Good luck.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You should continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon in order to receive formal evaluations and maintain your doctor patient relationship.

Craig S. Rock, MD

Growth after breast reduction

+1

Hi,

Thank you for your question!

There are a few factors that may have contributed to your breast growth such as weight loss or hormones. However, I do agree that your particular growth came back at a rapid pace. I would recommend seeking out a specialist to ensure that there is no other hormonal checkup needed. I also recommend that you hold off another breast reduction surgery right away but we do sometimes need to do one.

Good luck!

Dr. Sam Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Revision breast reduction

+1

Some patietns especially  young ones who have not stopped growing may actually have further growth of their breasts.  Also weight gain may cause the breasts to grow a bit because of the fatty component increasing a bit.

Having Breasts RE-Grow AFTER a Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Having ANY surgery is a personal decision which should NOT be made lightly. I would wait as long as possible and get at least another if not more opinions before having surgery. Barring weight gain or hormonal imbalance, breasts do NOT regrow unless there is an underlying disorder. The rare exception is a breast tumor or a disorder known as Virginal Breast Hypertrophy.

Regrowth after breast reduction

+1
Barring a significant weight gain, it is unusual for patients' breasts to regrow after breast reduction surgery, particularly if a sufficient amount of tissue has been removed. That said, you are young and there are circumstances (including hormonal changes secondary to birth control pills) that could cause the breasts to enlarge. Unless there has been an appreciable growth, I would not recommend re-operation at this time. Perhaps you could try an exercise and weight loss regimen prior to reconsidering surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Repeat Breast Reduction?

+1

Although it is not unusual for patients to acquire a 2nd breast reduction when it is done initially at an early age, your recurrence of breast hypertrophy  is rather rapid.

I would suggest a consultation with internist/endocrinologist  to rule out causes of rapid breast hypertrophy.

The concern in regards to redo breast reduction is related to blood flow to the remaining breast tissue;  is important to perform the operation in such a fashion that the blood flow to the nipple/areola/breast tissue is not compromised.   The  part of the tissue that is left in place  after breast reduction surgery is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola/ breast tissue. If the pedicle (that was used during the previous breast reduction procedure)  is cut  then the blood flow to tissues may be compromised leading to serious competitions such as tissue necrosis etc.

It may be helpful for you to find the previous surgeon's  operative report  prior to the redo surgery, if you have another surgeon perform the redo breast reduction procedure.