Do You Think I Need Breast Reduction Surgery? 14 Years Old

I am 14 years old and I have a VERY small frame but I have big breasts. I suffer back, shoulder and neck pain (especially when I am sitting)and my bra straps leave painful marks on my shoulders. I am very active (dance, rowing, running, and I will be starting rugby soon) but it is uncomfortable and it hurts. It is hard to find shirts that fit. I am also EXTREMELY self conscious about my breasts. I also don't know how to talk to my mom about it and ask for breast reduction surgery Thanks!

Young Candidate for Breast Reduction

+2

With "I suffer back, shoulder and neck pain (especially when I am sitting)and my bra straps leave painful marks on my shoulders. I am very active (dance, rowing, running, and I will be starting rugby soon) but it is uncomfortable and it hurts. It is hard to find shirts that fit. I am also EXTREMELY self conscious about my breasts" you summarized the major indications for Breast Reduction surgery.

As regards your mother, nothing is better than a direct but tactful approach. Tell her just how hard having large breast has been on you and how the pain and limitations will only increase in the future. Visit the website of the American Society of Plastic surgeons (plasticsurgery.org ) and review the wealth of information there. Finally, feel free to show her the comments by my colleagues and I.

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea

Breast Reduction Candidate

+1
There is not an age limit for breast reduction surgery. It is best to wait at least 1 year from the time that your breast finishes growing. This will allow for optimal correction, and minimizes the possibility that you need a 2nd surgery soon afterwards. In addition to being a candidate, you will need to be able to have parental consent and provide informed consent (or have your parent's provide informed consent on your behalf). When you are ready, consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction Surgery for Teenagers

+1

Unfortunately you have significant breast enlargement at an early age and are already suffering symptoms.  I generally prefer to wait until the breasts have stopped growing before proceeding with breast reduction.  In your case, this may take another couple of years.
When patients are suffering severe symptoms, this approach may require modification.  It’s important that your parents be involved in every step of the decision making process.  A candid discussion regarding your symptoms and how your breast hypertrophy affects your life should occur.  It’s important to remember that your sill a minor, and without parental consent you won’t be able to get treatment.
Breast reduction has some of the highest satisfaction rates seen in plastic surgery.  Younger patients may experience benefits that may not occur in older patients.  These include less teasing about their breast size at a time when their self image is developing, and improved athletic performance at a time when participating in sports is important.  Early breast reduction also corrects many health problems before they become chronic.
Finally, early intervention allows patients to benefit from the procedure over a lifetime.  Older patients who undergo breast reduction often comment that they wished they had done it earlier.  Many of them feel that by waiting to undergo this procedure, they may have permanently damaged their health and suffered needlessly.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for Teenager

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

You may be 1 to 2 years from being ready for a breast reduction procedure.   This will give you time to do your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

14 year old and breast reduction

+1

At 14, it is a bit premature to consider a breast reduction. You more than likely are still growing, and I would wait until you stop growing.  Remember, that you need parental consent if and when you do decide to undergo this procedure( if you are younger than 18)

BREAST REDUCTION AT 14: How to bring it up

+1

First discuss this as a medical problem with your mother and pediatrician. They will be able to offer you advice about your candidacy for the procedure. At your age, you are a bit early to consider the procedure but if your growth has stablilized, it is not unreasonable to begin the education process in preparation for the procedure.