Had Breast Reduction Surgery 7 Wks Ago and Am Having Quite a Bit of Pain when Raising Arms Above Head?

Had breastf reduction surgery 7 weeks ago and am having quite a bit of pain when fully raising my arms above my head. I was very flexible with this stretch before surgery. Is this normal???

Breast reduction and pain with arm elevation

+2

It is not uncommon to have some arm discomfort sveral weeks after breast reduction surgery. It is most likely secondary to swelling. If concerned speak to your doctor.

Remember to massage

+2

Carol,

It is common to have tenderness after breast reduction, especially on your sides when raising your arms.  Remember to massage this area especially - twice a day for five minutes with whatever lotion you like.  This will help the wounds to soften and the tenderness to resolve sooner.  Be sure to keep your follow up appointment with your surgeon so you can be sure everything is going well.
Good luck!
Michael Novia, MD

Michael Novia, MD
Olympia Plastic Surgeon

Concerns after Breast Reduction?

+1

Some degree of discomfort or stiffness is commonly experienced after breast reduction surgery; “quite a bit of pain” may be more than usually seen.

Always  best to check with your own plastic surgeon about concerns after surgery. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with meaningful diagnosis, treatment recommendations, or reassurance.
Best wishes;  hopefully, you will be very pleased with the  long-term outcome of the breast reduction procedure.

Stiffness after breast reduction

+1

Many patients have stiffness when raising there arms over head because you are advised for weeks not lift them at all.  I recommend beginning wall stratches, where you crawl your hand up a wall in order to stretch out the pec muscle.  If you feel you are unable to do this, you should ask your PS about physical therapy to help increase range of motion.  I hope this helps you and best of luck!

Kindest regards

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Physical therapy can be useful after breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

Your shoulders can get stiff after breast reduction, and a few sessions of physical therapy can do wonders.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)