Breast Reduction Surgery, What's the Largest Reduction I Could Receive?

I am 21 with a bra size of 32-DDD. My height is 65.5 inches,my weight is 153 pounds. I have been large chested since puberty, and suffer from many of the common complaints, especially pain and difficulty while exercising, knots in my neck, shoulders, and back, difficulty with proper posture, and sometimes skin issues between and under my breasts. What is the largest reduction (in cup sizes) I would be eligible for, and due to my young age, could the breasts start to grow again afterwards?

Breast reduction- how small can I become?

+1

There are some esthetic and physical limits on the performance of breast reductions.  Most patients should not expect to be smaller than a C cup after a breast reduction, because to be smaller than that may very well compromise the circulation to the breast as well as the nipple and areola.  If this happens the breast or nipple may not have the circulation needed to heal adequately.  I never promise a smaller size than that to my patients.

If your current size is stable as is your weight you perhaps will not grow after the reduction until such time as you may become pregnant.  Your size gain would certainly not be as large as it would have been before the reduction was performed.

Always use the advice of your Plastic Surgeon to give you some guidance about this, however.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction at Early Age?

+1

Although breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform, you raise important questions to consider.

It is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly.   Sometimes  when patients want “almost nothing left”  the reduction should be done in 2 stages.  The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  Doing the procedure in more than one stage allows the tissues to  acclimate to the surgically decreased blood flow before  further tissue removal (and potentially further decreased blood flow)  occurs ( with the 2nd stage operation).

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

LArgest breast reduction possible

+1

I assume you are asking this for academic purposes, but the largest reduction you could achive is acutally and essentially a subcutaneous mastectomy with free nipple graft taking hte patients back down to an a A cup

Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Without examining you in person, it is impossible to give you accurate estimates of what is possible surgically.  Regardless, if you have reduction surgery, you will see a dramatic decrease in size and weight with a positive benefit on posture and reduction in back pain.  Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Breast reduction facts

+1

Large breasts can restrict your lifestyle and cause a variety of medical problems. Even drastic weight loss won't result in more than negligible shrinkage. Breast reduction surgery removes excess breast tissue and reshapes the contour of the breasts so that they are smaller and perkier. I commonly use a minimal incision technique (Le Jour), eliminating the need for large scars while providing a pleasing breast contour and shape that is proportionate to the patient’s body.

It's important to be sure expectations are realistic and you have an understanding of the commitment needed for the healing process. Make sure that you understand the nature of your surgery, the recovery process, and that you feel comfortable and emotionally ready to make these changes to your body.

While breasts may continue to grow into a woman’s early twenties, most women are fully developed by age 16. If you are a DDD cup, you’re certainly not going to get any smaller. So if the size of your breasts are debilitating or painful, I would suggest going ahead with a reduction. You may need a second reductive procedure down the line, but why put off something that could make such a positive difference in your life now?

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Breast Reduction amount depends on what you want

+1
Breast Reduction surgery can remove virtually any amount of breast tissue, however most plastic surgeons limit the reduction volume for two reasons. To preserve the blood flow to the nipple and areola and to retain enough volume to maintan a beautiful breast shape. If you don't care about those two issues, you could get the most extreme breast reduction - a mastectomy. There are different techniques for breast reductions and therefore you should discuss your wishes with your surgeon or get a second opinion if you are not sure. In my experience, using a medial pedicle technique it would be reasonable to expect that you can go from DDD to a C cup. Sincerely Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Reduction in 21 Year-old

+1

You and your plastic surgeon should determine together the size with which you are comfortable  and is surgically feasible.  If you do not smoke and are in good health, a rediction to a B or C cup should be possible.

John Whitt, MD

Breast reduction, its what you leave not what you take

+1

Breast reduction can be a balance between what must be removed to relieve back pain and pulling, and what can be left to preserve aesthetics such as breast shape and sensation and function. Studies have shown that most women will wear a standard D-cup after breast reduction, even when the amount of breast tissue removed is on the low end, 450-grams, or the high end of 1000 grams. The difficulty with 'going smaller' is the geometry of the base width of the breast, and the related chest size. The reduction should retain enough breast tissue to preserve projection and sensation, with a limited scar if possible. You shouldn't worry about your breast regrowing.

peterejohnsonmd

Largest Reduction

+1

2,000 grams total is the largest amount I personally have removed. Each doctor has limits to what they are comfortable in removing. Years ago a professor of plastic surgery once told a patient it will take 2 operations to achieve the size desired. Just a consideration. 

You can go to B cup with breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

The ideal final size is based on what you want and on your anatomy.  If your breasts have not grown for 2 years, they will not grow after surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)