Having Breast Reduction Surgery and I Have Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction III?

I'm very worried about my surgery in 3 weeks. Whenever I have morphine, codeine, vicodin, etc... I have horrible spasm attacks. Is there anything else I can be given or do I just need to deal with the surgery pain or have 8 hour attacks? I'm having my 40 F breasts reduced because of the discomfort and pressure of wearing a bra with SOD, as well as back pain and rashes.

Pain management following breast reduction

+1

can be done without narcotics.  You should discuss your concerns with your chosen surgeon as there are many options to select from.  In general, breast reductions usually do not result in severe pains.   Surgical techniques such as protecting the muscle fascia will also help in diminishing pain.  Non-narcotic medications are usually adequate to manage post-reduction pains and you could also consider use of a pain pump for the first few days after surgery.  Again, discuss this with your surgeon as he/she is just as motivated as you are to have a smooth recovery with pain well managed.

Pain medications and breast reduction

+1

If you have problems with sphincter spasm and pain meds, I am sure your doctor and anesthesiologist can find a non-opiod that is suitable for you. Good luck.

Breast Reduction and Concerns about Medications?

+1

Make sure you communicate your concerns about the use of narcotics with your anesthesiologist and plastic surgeon.  I am sure that they will be able to “modify” the medications you receive to help with the sphincter of Oddi  dysfunction.  For example, your surgeon will likely be able to use long-lasting local anesthesia and/or pain pump during your procedure. Postoperatively, a variety of medications are available that include no narcotic or mixtures of anti-inflammatories (with a smaller component of narcotic).

You may also want to speak with your gastrointestinal physician to see if he/she has any specific recommendations;  you may find that there are specific narcotics (? Demerol) that are less prone to cause the spasms you are concerned about.

Good luck with the planned procedure; keep in mind that breast reduction is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Hopefully, you will be very pleased with the aesthetic and functional improvements you will experience.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm