Where Are Breast Reduction Surgeries Usually Performed?

I have been told that my breast reduction surgery will be performed in an ASC, however, I will also have an overnight stay. In my experience, ASCs are NOT for overnight stays- and if there were to be complications during the night, I wouldn't have access to the same types of services as a hospital. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Where to Perform Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

The proposed plan seems reasonable to me.  Some ASC's do allow for overnight stays and will monitor you closely.  Assuming that you have chosen your plastic surgeon wisely, you should do OK.

Where are breast reductions performed?

+1
I perform more reductions in a hospital as ambulatory cases. I have found that the surgicenters do not make enough money and aren't terribly anxious to accept insurance breast reductions. ASCs are not permitted to admit patients overnight under NY law.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast reduction

+1

I perform the majority of my breast reducrtion surgical procedures in an ambualtory surgery center. Those that I do  not are done in the hospital because of the patient underlying medical condition.

Ambulatory Surgery Center is fine for bresat reduction

+1

Ambulatory surgery is perfectly appropriate for breast reduction, and hospital ASC's will have an overnight or 23 hour stay if you need it. We use the ASC, main hospital, and the office for breast reduction, and usually send all home after reduction without the need for any stay,

Breast Reduction in Outpatient Surgery Center

+1

Most outpatient surgery centers are geared towards handling the overnight or 23 hour stay patient. They are full equipped to do so. Your plastic surgeon would not have scheduled you there if it was not an appropriate facility to handle overnight care and almost certainly has done many such similar patients in the exact setting.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Locations For Breast Reduction Surgeries

+1

I perform all of my breast reductions in a hospital which is consistently ranked in the top 100 in the US and keep almost all for a 23 hour period of observation.  Many plastic surgeons perform this procedure as an outpatient procedure which I think is also perfectly acceptable.

John Whitt, MD