Breast Reduction Size Question For my Frame?

I am 50 years old. 5'4 and 125 lbs. I just had my consult with a PS and he said my breasts were about 800 grams each. The insurance company requires him to remove 400 grams. First, do you this the insurance company would allow him to take more? I am concerned about them still being too large after surgery. My band size is a 32 (although I prefer looser bands as to not aggravate heartburn). Any guess as to what cup size I would be with this reduction?

Reduce size and cup size

+1

At size 32 with about 800 gram breasts, you are size H.  Removal of 400 grams would take you down to about a size D.  Yes, he can take more if he wants but then you would be smaller than a D.  For your size, each 100 cc corresponds to 1 cup size change.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Size After Reduction Surgery

+1

Depending on your desired outcome the surgeon should be able to take more, the 400 grams is just your insurance company's minimum requirement for coverage.  Your new cup size after the reduction depends on how much more than 400 grams you would like your surgeon to remove, but many women are happy with a C-cup breast after a reduction.  Without photos or seeing you in-person it is hard to give a definite answer.  I hope this helps and good luck with your procedure.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Breast reduction size

+1

The insurance company might give minimums based on height and weight for insurance coverage, however your surgeon could take more if the size better fits your life style and frame, and the geometry and aesthetics of your breast. Sometimes as the full breast has a wide base, the D-cup often appears 'right', though a C-cup may work out for you. Have a good discussion beforehand with your surgeon.

Breast Reduction and Size Concerns?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Insurance companies may authorize breast reduction surgery and “require” a MINIMUM  of a certain amount of tissue to be removed. Your plastic surgeon will be able to remove more tissue if indicated. 

There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients wish to achieve  enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully your only regret will be not having had the procedure performed earlier in life.