Breast Reduction Scars Are Lower Post Tummy Tuck. Is This Normal?

I had a breast reduction years ago. After a recent tummy tuck the lower breast incisions/scars appear approximately 1/3 - 1/2 inch lower due to tension and are now visible under my bra line. Is this normal? Will this subside?

Breast reduction scars after tummy tuck

+1

This certainly can happen after a tummy tuck, especially is a lot of undermining was needed to get a nice result.  It may get better with time.  If it does not, it may be possible to tack the breast scars up into the fold with a scar revision.

Tummy tuck has lowered breast scars

+1

The tension from tuumy tuck can create enough pull to lower your breast reduction scars. If the surgeon used a technique of  'central tunneling' up to the middle of the chest, the breast fold should stay well anchored and as the skin relaxes in the abdomen the scar may raise up. Just what will happen is too soon to know.

Peter Johnson, MD

Chest scars are lower after tummy tuck

+1

Part of the consequence of tightening the skin is tightening the skin.  If you look at photos before and after a tummy tuck you will notice that scars and moles are in a different location after the procedure.  The further the scar or mole is from the lower abdominal scar the less movement there will be.

It may or may not get better after some times passes.  Thank you for your question.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck can lower your breast reduction scars.

+1

When a tummy tuck is done the skin of the abdomen is elevated up to the ribs and then pulled down so the excess can be trimmed off.  The tension put on the abdominal skin when it is pulled down is transmitted to the skin on the lower part of your breasts and so your scars are pulled down as well.  Without at least photos, or more ideally an exam, it is impossible to know whether this will correct itself.  Ask your surgeon about your concerns, or seek other opinions from board certified plastic surgeons.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Breast reduction scars

+1

Thanks for your question.  Without a before and after picture it is hard to confirm your observations, however your description is very plausable with a tummy tuck to lower your breast reduction scars.  I am not sure you can expect much improvement if the scar position bothers you.  Please discuss with your surgeon.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Tummy tuck and breast reduction scars

+1

Old scars froma breast reduction can be pulle down a bit during tummy tuck. This is due to skin laxity. It may or may not get better.

Effects Of Tummy Tuck On Breast Reduction Scars

+1

The pulldown and the tension caused by the effect of the tummy tuck would be expected to potentially cause some minor lowering of the inframmary crease scars from a prior breast reduction. This is not abnormal. Whether the abdominal skin will relax enough to return the breast scars to their original position is unknown and only time will tell. This may happen but I would predict that it will not.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Movement of Breast Reduction Scar after Tummy Tuck

+1

To ensure the best contour of your abdomen, your plastic surgeon closed your abdomen under a certain degree of tension to give a smooth flat shape.   Unfortunately, the tension also distributes throughout the upper abdomen also, which caused your previous breast reduction scars to migrate.   The scars will probably not relax to their original position, unless the skin and muscle of the abdomen relaxes again over time.   I would discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.   At 4-6 months after the tummy tuck, a scar revision to your breasts may be beneficial.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast Reduction Scars after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Tummy tuck surgery does involve “undermining” of the abdominal wall skin and subcutaneous tissues ( lifting the  the tissue off the abdominal wall muscle).  Once the “excess” skin and subcutaneous tissues of the lower abdominal wall are excised,  the upper abdominal wall skin is used  to cover the area of excised skin.  As a result patients will find that lesions of the upper abdominal wall area (such as moles or scars)  will be lower down on the abdominal wall after tummy tuck surgery.

Depending on when your tummy Tuck surgery was done,  it is possible that the breast reduction scars will move back up slightly as your tissues "equilibrate".  This process may take several months to occur. If, in the long term, the breast reduction scars remain too low,  then revisionary breast surgery may be helpful.