Can't a Breast Reduction Be Done with Just a Scar Around the Aerola?

Is there a technique that just makes a scar around the Aerola? I think that a surgeon could minimize the size of the Breast/Aerola and even improve lift by re-positioning the Aerola to a higher point. Isn't this true?

Minimal Breast Reduction Scar Techniques

+1
Yes, there are existing techiques that either have negligible scarring (breast liposuction technique) or a periareolar breast reduction. The problem is that in my experience the best results are those in women with minimal sagging and who need a minimal reduction - Therefore it is not the best operation for most.
A lollipop scar will take care of greater than 95% of my patients which reduces scars by about 50% compared with the traditional anchor pattern scar.

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/breast/reduction/

Sometimes, breast reduction can be done without scars!

+1

Hi.

1)  About 10% of women can have breast reduction with liposuction alone, which is really scarless.

2)  Most women need a lollipop scar.

3)  A scar around the areola can be used occasionally for small reductions, and it can often be used for breast lifts.

Ultimate Breast Reduction technique has less scarring

+1

Hi Beverly,

Great question! The Ultimate Breast Reduction technique completely reshapes, reduces and lifts breasts with minimal scarring. This technique was developed using engineering principles in conjunction with plastic and reconstructive techniques to design the ideal breast. It has no vertical scar. Scars are hidden in the natural crease of the breast and around the areola. It offers upper pole fullness and long term lift by creating an internal bra from your own tissues. I hope  this helps.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Web reference: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663319/how-one-surgeon-is-reinventing-the-female-breast-sfw

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Scars

+1

Normally, the incision around the areola is a technique used for a minimal breast lift.  It usually does not allow for breast tissue removal (as you would need for a breast reduction surgery). 

The incision is usually an anchor scar or lollipop (each patient is different) and although most patients don't want scars on their breasts, with time, the scars will fade and the breast reduction patient is usually one of my happiest patients.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Breast reduction incisions

+1

Commonly breast reduction techniques involve either an anchor or a lollipop incision. While a circumareola incision can be used for a lift, it does not provide enough access to remove enough tissue for most reductions.

Breast Reduction - Can't a Breast Reduction Be Done with Just a Scar Around the Aerola?

+1

Not usually, though it would be nice.  There is actually only a limited amount of reduction that can be achieved with this technique - and, arguably, none since it's really only a lift.  Nobody wants any of those scars so when you see them you can reasonably assume that they're necessary.  There are, of course, some variants and some surgeons prefer one technique to another.  But the larger the breasts and, more importantly, the greater the reduction desired, the more likely you are to need a more formal breast reduction procedure.  With more scars.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com