Is Breast Reduction Safe While Pregnant?

Should I have the surgery while I am pregnant? Just found out I am six weeks pregnant, should I still have Breast reduction surgery next week?

Breast reduction during pregnancy.

+1

You should not undergo breast reduction surgery at any point during your pregnancy, and should probably wait at least 3 months after you finished breastfeeding before considering breast reduction, if you even desire it at that point.

NO breast reduction surgery while you are pregnant

+1

No no no no no.  No elective surgery during pregnancy--it's not worth the risk to your chlid.  Besides, pregnancy will change your breasts, so wait and see what happens.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Avoid surgery duing pregnancy

+1

Congratulations on the pregancy! Please do not proceed with surgery since you are pregnant. I recommend postponing surgery until after having the baby and once you have stopped lactating. The breasts will change after breast feeding and affect the results of your surgery. Most importantly, it is not safe for you and the baby. Do not let another surgeon tell you otherwise. Good luck!

Breast reduction surgery ONLY after pregnancy

+1

It is not safe to perform a breast reduction surgery while pregnant. No ethical plastic surgeon to perform this procedure. Your best course is to enjoy your pregnancy and your upcoming new baby. You should wait 4 to 6 months after you've given birth and after you have stopped breast-feeding to consider surgery to your breasts. This will allow all hormones in your body to dissipate into reach your final body shape after your pregnancy.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Cancel the surgery

+1

Cancel the surgery and wait six months after you deliver.  It is unwise to operate unnecessarily in a pregnant woman.  Additionally, pregnancy changes the structure and composition of the breasts.  You really should wait.

David Shafer, MD

Breast Reduction not safe during pregnancy

+1

I am hoping that enough surgeons saying "NO" will make you reconsider and not have the surgery. It is truly an elective procedure and can be done at any time. There is no need to rush it. Furthermore, your breasts will change during and after your pregnancy. I would ask you to wait at least 6 months after your child's delivery (assuming you are not breast-feeding) before thinking of this (or any) elective surgery.

Sirish Maddali, MD

No

+1

I agree with each of the other respodents. If your plan is to carry your pregnancy to term you wouldn't want to do that any way because of the changes your breast will go through.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

No

+1

You should not have an elective procedure in the first trimester of pregnancy - this is an absolute rule.  I do not know of a plastic surgeon who would perform a breast reduction on a pregnant patient.  Hope this helps.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

NO

+1

You should not have any elective procedure during pregnancy, particularly one that is working on body parts that will change significantly during and after pregnancy. Wail until well after childbirth.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction during pregnancy

+1

Absolutely not! Do not even consider having a breast reduction during pregnancy. Besides, you probably will not find a doctor who would do so. The surgery could compromise your pregnancy, the breasts are in an "unnatural state" they are becoming "milk factories" and preparing for the birth. Wait at least 6 months or more after you stop breast feeding or until your weight and breast size is back to normal.