Did I Have My Breast Reduction Too Soon? They've Grown Back. What Are My Revision Options?

Hello, In June 2010 I underwent a Breast Reduction at 19 years old. I'm 5ft 8 and very active with not much body fat. I went from a size DD down to a C.. I wanted to be a Bcup but was very happy with the procedure overall. However they have grown back. Is it possible I wasn't finished developing when I had my procedure? As an athlete I was really looking forward to the freedom of Bcups & I'm upset they are back up to Dcups. I would like a revision, is it realistic/possible to make them smaller?

Redo Breast Reduction

+1

Sorry to hear of your troubles. It is more common for younger patients to have breast growth after breast reduction surgery in comparison to older patients. It used to be a reason some surgeons used in delaying breast reduction surgery in younger patients. A revision is of course possible.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Breast regrowth after reduction

+1

I would have to agree with the other respondents about regrowth of your breasts only one year after a successful breast reduction surgery.  At 19, most breasts are plateauing in their growth although minor increases can occur into your early 20's.  I would not be worried about symmetric enlargement of your breasts if it is subtle.  However, rapid asymmetric growth may indicate something more worrisome.  In either case, a visit to your plastic surgeon should be your first step.  All the best...

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Breast regrew?

+1

It is unsual that at 19 your breasts would enlarge after a breast reduction more than a year ago. You should probaly go back to your surgeon to be re-evaluated.

Second breast reduction

+1

Breasts often change in size with hormonal changes (puberty, pregnancy), aging (fat vs. breast tissue) and weight fluctuations.  After age 19 (and assuming you are not pregnant), it is not often that breasts continue to significantly grow, but anything is possible.  I would recommend seeing your physician and/or plastic surgeon for a breast exam to rule out any other possible causes of breast hypertrophy (enlargement).   If necessary, a second breast reduction can usually be done to further decrease the size, but attention needs to be paid to the technique used for your first reduction and the blood supply to the breast tissue.   Good luck! 

Breast Reduction Redo?

+1

Thank you for the question. I'm sorry to hear that the breasts size have increased so soon after surgery. I do not think that you did the wrong thing having the surgery done at the age of 19;  it is somewhat unusual for the breasts to increase in size so soon however.

It is very “realistic/possible” to make the  breasts smaller  with an  additional breast reduction procedure. Care must be taken during this procedure to avoid compromise of the blood flow to the tissues and nipple/areola. Your surgeon should review the previous operative  report to avoid performing an operation that puts you at higher risks  of such complications.

If you're thinking about pregnancy in the near future you may want to delay further breast reduction.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm