Play Sports And Was Wondering If Having A Second Breast Reduction Is An Option.

Hello, 14 months ago I underwent a breast reduction and went from a double DD in my right breast and DDD in my left breast down to a full C small D in both. I play a lot of sport and still get terrible groove marks from my bra straps and feel weighed down by the weight of my breasts. I really wanted to be a small B cup and had envisioned wearing small sports bras and the freedom it would afford me playing sport. I am considering getting a further reduction, is this possible? Many thanks

Re-do Breast Reduction?

+1

You may be an excellent candidate for a repeat breast reduction procedure.

This procedure must  be done with great care to avoid complications. One of the concerns is related to blood flow to the remaining breast tissue;  is important to perform the operation in such a fashion that the blood flow to the nipple/areola/breast tissue is not compromised.   The  part of the tissue that is left in place  after breast reduction surgery is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola/ breast tissue. If the pedicle (that was used during the previous breast reduction procedure)  is cut  then the blood flow to tissues may be compromised leading to serious competitions such as tissue necrosis etc.

It may be helpful for you to find the previous surgeon's  operative report  prior to the redo surgery  and make sure you are currently working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Repeat breast reduction

+1

It is possible to have a second breast reduction.  I would first inquire whether you are playing intramural sports and how long you expect to be engaged in this activity because, if the duration and degree of your sports involvement will be brief, then you should consider whether the last effects of surgery would be appropriate.  I would not place much weight on bra size, as we know that this varies by manufacturer.  It is difficult to assess your situation without seeing a photograph of your breasts to know whether you had insufficient tissue removed from the breasts during the reduction or have a broad chest.  I recommend waiting for a year between surgeries for full healing to occur.  The second reduction would not be considered medically necessary by an insurer and you must be prepared to bear the costs out of pocket.  Best of luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Secondary Breast Reduction

+1

While most people having breast reduction do not need additional surgery for further reduction, it is not unheard of.  If you still feel like you would like a further reduction, it is possible.  Most likely, the same incisions will be used.  It is important that you know which type of reduction you had so you can give that information to your surgeon (if it is not the original surgeon).

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Yes, you can have it redone - vertical technique is best

+1

Yes, it is not that unusual for me to perform "secondary" breast reductions.  It is important that the surgeon use the vertical technique for the best breast shape.  If you have an inverted-T ("anchor") incision, your breasts will look very deflated and boxy.  There is a risk of losing some areolar tissue, but an experienced surgeon will preserve as much blood supply to the nipple and areola as possible, so any skin loss should be minor.  I've attached a link to my website, which shows patients treated using the vertical technique.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Redo Breast Reduction is Possible

+1

Repeat breast reductions are possible.   They do carry a slightly higher risk of nipple problems, so it is imperative that your doctor sees the original operative  report and modifies the technique accordingly. 

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Yes you can

+1
You should be able to get another reduction. You do need to be examined any any other doctor would want to see a copy of your operative report to know what kind of reduction was done.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Excess volume after breast reduction

+1

Hi Soph,

Yes, you can easily be reduced again, however,  the scars would be more visible since the mound will be smaller and insufficient to hide them. One reason for breast reduction is to achieve pain relief. The traditional surgical technique depends on breast mass removal to relieve pain. There is an alternate technique that transfers the breast weight to the chest wall without reducing cup size. You can keep your size D breasts,  achieve pain relief  and eliminate shoulder grooving. Best wishes, Dr H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Revision breast reduction should give you a B cup.

+1

Hi.

I understand completely your need not to feel weighed  down.  That's probably the main reason women have breast reduction.  There must have been some bad communication.

Of course you need a careful examination and review of previous operative report, but I cannot think why you could not be made a small B cup.  The surgical technique may need to be modified.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)