Possible to Have Breast Reduction Results Similar to Augmentation?

I'm 5'3, 120 lbs, 27 y/o with 34D breasts. They are very uncomfortable. My lower back always hurts (while sleeping, sitting, etc). I am considering having a breast reduction, but I also love the way breast implants look (perky). I want smaller, perkier breasts (34D). Would having a breast reduction make them appear like breasts with implants?

Breast Reduction Results?

+1

It is important to have realistic  expectations when undergoing breast reduction surgery. Generally, the results of the surgery ( aesthetically)  did not approximate that of patients who have undergone breast augmentation surgery.

In order to achieve upper pole fullness,  breast augmentation may be necessary ( for example, after breast reduction surgery).

Breast reduction

+1

Breast reduction can achieve perkier breasts.  The technique chosen will depend upon your preference and the way the breasts appear now.  If they are extremely large and the skin is loose you may need an "anchor type incision."  I f you are not too large and have good skin tone, a lollipop or vertical approach can be performed.

Perky breasts through Breast reduction

+1

Most patients when given a choice by asking them to view photos, will choose the perky upper pole fullness result that you describe. In my opinion, this is only achievable with an implant and not with a breast reduction alone.

It is important to review photos with your Plastic Surgeon so that you are both on the same page regarding the expected outcome.

Sam M. Sukkar, MD

Breast reduction and breast augmentation produce different results

+1

It is generally not possible to achieve an augmented look with a breast reduction. Most techniques will shift tissue superiorly to give fullness in the upper aspects of the breasts, but as healing progresses and as the tissues relax, a more settled appearance develops. With breast reduction, it is true that the final shape and appearance of the breasts tends to be determined to some extent by the initial shape. Since you have a perky appearance to start with, you are likely to have a more favorable appearance after healing is complete.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction does not typically achieve upper breast fullness

+1

A breast reduction will not enhance the fullness of the upper portions of the breast. Generally the best method to achieve this look is with an implant.

Breast reduction with perky look

+1

Breast reduction is a procedure that removes breast tissue and skin and moves the nipple up to a better position. Breasts can be made perky with reduction, but the look of breasts with implants is often different than breasts without implants. If you have back pain, you probably do not want to add more weight to your breasts with implants. I think you need to decide whether you are looking for smaller, perkier breasts in which case you need breast reduction. If you want to remain a 34 D cup, you may want a lift. If you want to be larger than a 34 D you may want an augmentation with implants, but I would caution you that increasing the size of your breasts will not help your back pain, perky or no.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift, or Breast reduction

+1

Yes. You are confused.

A Breast Reduction is an operation done to improve neck and shoulder pain by DECREASING the size of the heavy breasts causing these symptoms. Depending on your anatomy and the dictates of your medical insurance, a certain weight of breast tissue and skin needs to be removed from each breast. The breasts are then shaped and lifted but they WILL BE SMALLER.

A Breast Lift, depending on which technique you have done, will reshape your breasts, taking out mostly breast skin, reducing the size of the areola and the breasts will be perkier and higher on your chest. (This operation can be be done with or without a Breast Augmentation).

A Breast Augmentation is NOT a breast lift. It is an increase in the size of the breast filler volume while keeping the same breast envelope. As a result, a larger breast is created. (The larger the implant is, the faster the breast will sag afterwards).

In your case, You HAVE 34D breasts. A Breast Reduction will HAVE TO (if paid by insurance) reduce the size to a smaller cup size. If you wanted a perkier you - you would need a Breast Lift.

Breast reductions are not the same as augmentations

+1

The results of a breast reduction are totally different from an augmentaion.  Without an implant, you won't have that "full, perky" look you are describing.  The reduction will relax and settle so you won't retain upper pole fullness even if you have some at the beginning.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast reduction results

+1

A doctor cannot answer your question without seeing photos or examining you as well as speaking with you in detail about what you desire. Perkiness is not an anatomical description and can mean different things to different people.

The good thing is that you have a visual goal in mind. You need to convey that accurately to a surgeon and see if you anatomy will allow that result and at what price as far as scars and risks.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Hard to make a reduction look like breast implants

+1

It is very difficult to create long lasting upper pole fullness during a breast reduction. The skin that is being tightened to support the breast tends to strech in the months after surgery and results in loosening of the breast. Also there is a limit to how tight the lower incisions can be made during the surgery. At first, the incisions are held by fairly thin sutures. If made too tight in order to create more upper breast fullness, the skin by the incisions would either not survive due to constriction of blood flow, or the incisions themselves would pop open. In either case, not something you want to happen to your breast.

Also if you where to only reshape your breast but not go down in size it is unlikely to give you much relief of the symptoms you describe.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon