What Should I Do? A Breast Reduction Question....

I'm getting a breast reduction on 8/21 and I only have a bathtub, no shower. I see a lot people talking about when the doctors say its ok to shower after the surgery. Since I can only take baths what should I do?

Bathing after breast reduction

+1

I agree that showering is preferable to immersion in a bathtub.  If you do not have a shower, consider purchasing a handheld unit to attach to the tub spigot.  Some versions are available at very low cost and will enable you to create a handheld shower.  You should, of course, comply with your plastic surgeon's instructions as to bathing.  Hope you did well in the OR today!

Showes are OK after breast reduction

+1

Soap and water in a shower, clean water, are fine after breast reduction. No shower at home? You can install a hand shower attachment at home which you might come to enjoy years to come, just like your reduction.

After Breast reduction surgery I allow my patients to shower starting the next day and to wash their wounds with soap and water.

+1

While the most important person to guide you in your post operative care is your own Plastic Surgeon, I allow all my patients to shower the next day after I see them post operatively. I do not want them to immerse themselves so a bath is not recommended. In your case where you have only a bath tub I would suggest getting a hand held shower head that you could attach to your bath tub facet and then stand in the tub and wash your self with this technique. Good luck 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Breast Reduction and Bathing?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery. The best way to receive appropriate postoperative instructions is to ask your plastic surgeon. He/she will be able to advise you during your postoperative course. Otherwise you will be bombarded by potentially conflicting/confusing recommendations from online consultants. Having said that, my patients find that “baby wipes” are helpful during the time period  when they are asked to keep their upper bodies dry.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of surgery.  This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations performed.