Skin Peeling After Breast Reduction

I had a breast reduction two weeks ago. Incisions are almost healed over and bruising is minimal. However I am having quite a bit of skin peeling especially around the nipple! is this normal? It kinda looks like how a sun burn would make your skin turn white and peel off. Is this going to affect the color of my areola long term? Thanks for your answers!

Skin peeling fater breast reduction

+1

Sometimes after breast surgery, dry skin will peel a bit. In most cases this is ok, but if you are not sure contact your doctor.

Peeling skin after Breast Reduction

+1

Skin peeling is commonly seen after breast reduction buyt this is usually due to dry skin. Your description of redness concerns me and I would advise you to see your surgeon to ensure that you do not have an allergic reaction or other explanation for the peeling. You may want t o use a hypoallergenic moisturizer.

Skin peeling after breast reduction

+1

It's normal to have skin peeling of surgical areas postoperatively.  Surgical areas aren't bathed, showered, scrubbed and moisterized for a few weeks after surgery because of stitches, dressing, soreness, fear, etc.   Dead, flakey skin cells accumulate and this is the source of the peeling.  Once you are all healed up and back to your routine, the peeling will resolve. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Breast Reduction can make skin peel

+1

It is quite common to have skin dyness or peeling after any operation, and Breast Reduction is no exception. After the incisions have healed, and in consultation with your plastic surgeon, it is acceptable to apply moisturizing lotion to the skin to alleviate this dryness.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Nipple/Areola Healing and Breast Reduction

+1

Skin Peeling After Breast Reduction
I had a breast reduction two weeks ago. Incisions are almost healed over and bruising is minimal. However I am having quite a bit of skin peeling especially around the nipple! is this normal? It kinda looks like how a sun burn would make your skin turn white and peel off. Is this going to affect the color of my areola long term?

Really difficult to say how things are going without a photo.  You just may have dry skin which is common after surgery and require moisturizing or you may be having issues with blood supply to the nipple/areaola complex which is why it is turning white.

I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon and see what he or she tells you, or post a photo for us to see so we can comment more accurately.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Excessive Nipple / Areola Skin Flaking 2 weeks AFTER Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Regarding: 'Skin Peeling After Breast Reduction
I had a breast reduction two weeks ago. Incisions are almost healed over and bruising is minimal. However I am having quite a bit of skin peeling especially around the nipple! is this normal? It kinda looks like how a sun burn would make your skin turn white and peel off. Is this going to affect the color of my areola long term? Thanks for your answers
!"

Without a photograph it is hard to say. However, I agree with my colleague. Odds are the natural skin oils have been removed and you are seeing skin flaking you would not otherwise see. The best way to treat this is apply a moisturizer of your choice after showering when the skin is still moist to hold on to normal moisture.

If you have ANY doubts, have your surgeon look at it.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Skin peeling after breast Reduction

+1

There are several reasons for skin peeling after surgery such as breast reduction. Sometimes the skin can simply be dry, or it can be irritated from incisional dressings such as ointments, gauze, and the constant wear of a particular bra. Usually it is temporary for a few months. I typically recommend Cetaphil lotion for dry skin if the incisions are completely healed. I would ask your physician to take a look, and determine the best treatment. I would not expect any long term sequelae.

Hayley Brown, MD