Breast Reduction for Patient with Protein S Deficiency?

I have a protein "S" deficiency which caused me to have several Pulmonary Embolisms in the past. I'm having a Breast reduction in July.

What can I do to ensure I don't get clots after the surgery? I'm on blood thinners (Warafin) for life now, how will this affect my bleeding in surgery and recovery time? I was told I will be switched to Lovenox during the procedure.

Protein S Deficiency

+2

Your surgery is a very high risk procedure. It is best done in a hospital setting, with consultations by a hematologist and the plastic surgeon. You should be fully aware of the risks of having the surgery.

The risk of pulmonary embolism can be greatly reduced, but the risk of bleeding increases, with the prophylactic measures, including Lovenox.

Breast Reduction and Protein S Deficiency?

+1

Thank you for the question. Based on your history of pulmonary embolism  you  continue to be considered high risk  for thrombotic events such as deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.

I would suggest you proceed with surgery only if you been cleared by her hematologist  and are able to follow his/her recommendations.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Your plastic surgeon should be making these arrangements with you

+1

Breast reduction is an elective operation and every effort must be made to ensure a godd and safe outcome. You should have a consultation with a hematologist who willmake recommendations after looking at your labs about preventative measures. Standard things are good intra-operative hydration, proper positioning on the tabel, sequential compression stockingsbefore/during/after surgery, and early and frequent ambulation. There may be a recommendation for the addition of a peri-operative blood thinner as well. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Web reference: http://www.medwardsmd.com/plasticsurgery_questions1.html

Hematologic disorders and surgery

+1

While it is possible to do your surgery, you have significant risks that must be carefully evaluated by a hematologist who should be active in the participation of your care both before and after your surgery.  Good luck.