Waiting to Get Pregnant After Breast Reduction Surgery?

How long should I wait to get pregnant after breast reduction surgery?

Pregnancy After Breast Reduction?

+1

It is safe to become pregnant anytime after breast reduction surgery. However, as you are probably aware, you run the risks of undergoing anatomic changes of the breasts  which you may be displeased with and which may require further surgery to correct. You also run the risk of not being able to breast-feed.

For these reasons, it would be in your best interest to have the breast reduction procedure after pregnancies  if possible.

Getting pregnant after breast reduction surgery

+1

It is safe to become pregnant after breast reduction surgery. Keep in mind that tendency and breast feeding may enlarge or stretch out your breast thus changing the shape and size of your breasts. This may alter the result you had achieved with your reduction surgery. If this is a concern to you, you may consider delaying your breast reduction until after your pregnancy and breast-feeding has been completed.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Pregnancy and breast reduction

+1

If youa re thinking of becoming pregnant now, I would wait to have a breast reduction.  The breasts will change shape a bit after pregnancy and certainly you would like them to look their best for the longest time.

How long to wait after breast reduction to get pregnant?

+1

Hi Jan,

I agree with everything already said. I would add that if you know that you are actively trying to get pregnant, I would consider putting off the surgery until after the pregnancy. If this is going to be your last pregnancy, consider waiting until after the pregnancy as pregnancy can affect the results of the reduction. If you have no immediate plans on becoming pregnant, may have more than 1 pregnancy, or if you anticipate a difficult time becoming pregnant, you might want to proceed with the surgery first. Talk it over with your plastic surgeon. The timing of this should be relatively easy to figure out.

Hope this helps.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Pregnancy after breast reduction

+1

Some women choose to have breast reduction, before they complete their families because they are inconvenienced by the weight of their breasts. Although it's a medium sized surgery, the relief of musculoskeletal, in particular shoulder strap, pain is almost immediate. Also the reduced breast volume has less tendency to leave moisture at the bra strap. So it's very much a trade off of scars for improved symptoms and hopefully a better aesthetic outcome.

Women rightfully worry about loss of erogenous sensation around the nipples as well as the ability to lactate. A carefully planned and executed breast reduction should preserve both of these functions. With respect to the timing of getting pregnant, I would specify at least 6 months, to allow the patient some time to convalesce from the surgery, before subjecting the breasts to the hormonal changes of pregnancy. However this recommendation should really be taken in conjunction with a woman's partner and OB.

Lavinia Chong, MD