Breast Reduction- How Can I Tell if my Breasts Are Swollen?

I had a breast reduction surgery 2 weeks ago. I don't think I had much swelling after but I am not sure how to tell? When there is swelling, is it red? Or does perhaps tenderness and some bruising indicate swelling???

Breast Reduction and Post Operative Swelling

+2

After a breast reduction, most patients will experience post operative swelling for several weeks to several months following the surgery.  The swelling can be present even without signs of redness or bruising.  I counsel my patients to wait at least 6 to 12 weeks before spending a lot of money on new bra or dress sizes.  Best wishes.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Post operative swelling after breast reduction

+1

Most patients will have swelling for 2 to 3 months after a breast reduction.  After a couple of weeks the initial bruising and redness are usually gone.  Tenderness of the breast with movements can persist for a couple of months after surgery.  You should really wait 2 or 3 months before you go shopping for your new bras.

Christina Bernier, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Not all swelling involves redness

+1
You can be swollen without bruising or redness. If you, then you are doing great! Tenderness and swelling can persist over several months as the breasts heal. Breast reduction is a fantastic procedure with extremely high patient satisfaction so I hope you are delighted with the result.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Swelling after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Congratulations on undergoing the breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the end results of surgery. At this point, only 2 weeks out of surgery, some swelling is certainly present. The swelling  is not necessarily associated with redness or tenderness.

Generally speaking, breast size/shape changes over the course of the first several months and even up to one year after breast reduction surgery.

If you have specific concerns, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to address them, after direct physical examination.