How Am I Able to Get a Breast Reduction at my Age?

Hi, Im 15 years old but I'll be 16 in October, basically it's my breats.They're awful, it's basically the only way I can desribe them! I physically cannot stand them! I'm a size 34H and still growing! I'm a cup size bigger than my sister. I really need some advice on what to do! For my height and weight I just dont like that they're all people notice about me. My breasts cause me sever back, neck and shoulder pain and the same for my sister! NHS won't help us out and we just dont know what to do :(

Breast Reduction at Age of 15?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing secondary to disproportionately large breasts.
Based on the description of your body type,  the physical and psychological symptoms that you have experienced,  the activities that you enjoy doing etc.,  I think you may be an ideal candidate for breast reduction surgery.
It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.
As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

You should also consider  carefully the pros and cons of the procedure as well as the potential need for further surgery if the breasts “regrow” in size.

Make sure, when the time is right, you select a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Teen Breast Reduction Indications

+2

From your description, despite your relatively young age you are probably a candidate for Breast reduction because of the severe back, neck and shoulder pain as well as the psychological discomfort evident in your note. You may be suffering from Virginal breast hypertrophy. The concern of course is that your breasts may also grow after the surgery requiring a second surgery for optimal results. Always contact a board certified plastic surgeon.for expert advice.

When excessively large breasts also called gigantomastia, occurs in young women during puberty, this uncommon medical condition is known as  Virginal breast hypertrophy.  A diagnosis is made when an adolescent's breasts grow rapidly and achieve great weight usually soon after her first menstrual period. 

Some women with virginal breast hypertrophy experience breast growth at a constant rate for several years then the breasts rapidly develop, exceeding normal growth.. This causes emotional and  physical discomfort. 

At the onset of puberty, some females who have experienced little or no breast development can grow three or more cup sizes within a few days.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

How am I able to get a breast reduction at my age?

+1

Thank you for your question!  I hope that these answers help in making your decision.  You suffer from juvenile hypertrophy of the breasts, which is typically treated by breast reduction.  It is not uncommon to have the symptoms that you describe such as neck/back/shoulder pain as well as infections/rashes and shoulder grooving, especially in teenagers once her breasts begin to fully develop.  

Once one begins to have the symptoms that you state above, consideration for a surgical procedure to ameliorate your symptoms, assist with self esteem, and allow you to get back to physical activities in your youth should be done.  Given your symptoms,  you would be an ideal candidate.  You must first discuss with your parents and pediatrician, and then consulting with a plastic surgeon for evaluation and examination to assist you in deciding if this would be the right thing for you.  Your surgeon will also go over what to expect as well as the risks and benefits of the procedure - it is a safe procedure.  Overall, your symptoms should be ameliorated almost immediately and hopefully give you more self confidence and an increased activity level.  Your breasts may still continue to grow over the next several years, but it is certainly reasonable to consider this at this age with the issues that you are having.  I hope that this helps!  Good luck with your decision!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast reduction at 15

+1

The key is that you are still growing. If you are unhappy with the size, but you are still growing, it is probably best to wait until you have fully grown and then with your parents' permission you should go for a consultation.

Large Breasts in a Teen

+1

You have all the required problems to warrant a breast reduction, and you would probably benefit greatly from one. The two problems I see are that you are "still growing," and the NHS. Neither are real problems. A reduction is always a procedure that can be done outside of coverage as a private pay option. More than half of the ones I do are such. If you decide to go this route, you and your parents must understand that you are still growing and that you may grow further after the reduction. If this happens to such an extent that your symptoms return, then you will need a repeat reduction. This is somewhat more complicated, but reasonable if your symptoms are significant enough now.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Try To Wait Until Breasts Stabilize Before Reduction

+1

I understand your concerns, but suggest that you wait until your breasts stop "growing" before undergoing a breast reduction.  Otherwise, you may require an additional surgery.  I am unaware of the nuances of the NHS.  In the US, a residency training program can sometimes be an option.

John Whitt, MD