Breast Reduction 6 Months Ago, Will the Swelling Ever Go Away? (photo)

Hi my 1st surgery in Jan of this year.I had a bad reaction to the steri strips. I was bleeding from my right breast and my left breast was blue. Feb 16th I had my 2nd surgery for the drain and my PS removed blood clots from the left breast. the problem is the swelling. I took it easy for a total of 12 weeks but I still have a lot of swelling and I’m 6 months Post op. My PS said since I’ve been thru a lot I may have the swelling for a yr. Will the swelling ever go away or could this be forever?

Swelling after Breast Reduction?

+1

I'm sorry to hear the  complications you experienced after breast reduction surgery. Given your history, I would suggest that you wait at least one year postoperatively to evaluate the end results of  surgery. Swelling/inflammation may persist for a longer period of time given the complications you experienced.

Hopefully at the one-year post operative mark you will be happy with the results of surgery and no further reduction will be necessary.

Swelling following breast reduction

+1

Thank you for your question. There is still a room for the swelling to go down in the next few months. but I think you had still have beast hypertrophy despite your surgery. You have to give it more time to settle. The swelling does take longer to settle when there is a complication such as infection or hematoma.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Dwelling after a breast reduction

+1

The photo posted leads me to believe you where very large. This appears as an a stable results from a very large reduction  with a complication also. If unhappy with size than the only other option is an additional reduction surgery. Sorry. 

Swelling after breast reduction

+1
Swelling does not last forever but if you had complications, you can expect that it will take longer to heal. Be patient and know that full healing does take about one year. The outcome of your surgery, however, is also dependent on the amount of gram weight removed from each breast and this is something to discuss with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Swelling after Breast Reduction

+1

While hard to predict for individual patients, breast reduction swelling typically takes 3 to 6 months to resolve. However, it may take longer. It is possible that your breasts may not get much smaller. If things don't change after 1 year, you may want to discuss options with your surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS