Had a Breast Reduction a Month Ago Now I Have a White String Coming out of an Incision

Breast reduction was done on october 15th and now I have a white string coming out of my right breast at the lower incision I pulled because I thought it was a dried up scab but it wouldn't come out. It bleed a little and there is also some pain. Is this normal or should I contact my doctor? help!

Breast Reduction Suture?

+1

Congratulations on having  had the breast reduction procedure; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

You are probably dealing with a suture that can be handled easily by your plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Probable exposed deep dissolvable suture

+1

It sounds like this is probably a dissolvable deep suture that has come through the skin. I would suggest that you contact your plastic surgeon so that they can assess the situation and remove the suture if that is what it is. Sometimes, if they remain like this, you can develop a localized infection so address this issue now.

Suture post breast reduction

+1

Sounds like you pulled out a suture that may have been used to close the skin.  If it is a month after surgery it probably will not impact the healing.

Suture post reduction

+1

This probably merely represents a retained suture.The doctor probably used a running suture to close the wound so go back to your doctor and they can snip it.It is nothing to woory about.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

White thread coming from incision

+1

Most likely this is a suture called Vicryl but it could be something else. I would certainly discuss this with your physician.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/breast-reduction/

Exposed ("Sptting") Stitch in Breast Reduction

+1

Regarding: "Had a Breast Reduction a Month Ago Now I Have a White String Coming out of an Incision
Breast reduction was done on october 15th and now I have a white string coming out of my right breast at the lower incision I pulled because I thought it was a dried up scab but it wouldn't come out. It bleed a little and there is also some pain. Is this normal or should I contact my doctor? help
!"

Nothing to worry about. Plastic surgeons close the wound with many individual dissolving stitches. When a stitch comes close to the surface it may become exposed, or in surgical speak it is a "spitting" sutures (not exactly elegant but very descriptive). Once your surgeon cuts the stitch out the wound will heal rapidly without any consequences. Go see your surgeon. And - NO - it does not hurt...

Dr. Peter Aldea

Visible sutures following breast reduction surgery

+1

Breast reduction surgery requires a lot of suturing. Most sutures are dissolvable, but they may eventually work their way to the surface. Most frequently, it is a simple matter to clip and remove the suture. The best source of advise on post-operative care is your surgeons office team. I would recommend calling them for reassurance and set up a time to clip the suture if you do not already have a follow-up appointment in the next few weeks. Best regards, Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Sutures Sometimes "Spit" after Reduction

+1

The sutures which are placed below the skin and are designed to dissolve with time sometimes spit through the skin as you describe.  Usually this causes no problems, but you should point it out to your surgeon on your next post-op visit.