Breast Reduction with Liposuction Under Armpit- Armpit Hard And Painful

I'm happy with my breast reduction surgery which was 3 weeks ago, but they did liposuction under my armpist as well and is so hard and painful. I try to massage it but it doesn't help. It feels lumpy. Will this go away eventually? Help!!

The area under your arm should be swollen and hard

+3

The fat cells that are still there are reacting to the injury from the liposuction and while they are healing they will swell and become hard, or indurated.  As the injured area recovers it will become softer and flatter, and the skin shrinkage will lag behind by months.  How long will you be indurated, or hard, and swollen?  Usually the bulk of the swelling and hardness is gone by six weeks, but some people take less time and others take longer. Continue massage and enjoy your results! 

Liposuction and firmness

+1

It is quite common to have some firmness after liposuction. In the armpit lumpiness may be swollen nodes, but without an exam it is difficult to say.

Hard Arm pit after Liposuction

+1

Most people understand that liposuction removes fat but fail to understand that the ACT of fat removal inflicts an injury on the area and results in temporary swelling and resulting stiffness. This uniformly resolves but will takes weeks to months to return to the normal soft and supple feeling. If you have ANY questions be sure to ask your Plastic surgeon. He is there to guide you through this experience.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Painful armpit after breast reduction

+1

Hi, it is normal to have firmness and pain over the area of liposuction.  There will be swelling of tissue after liposuction as tissue gets edematous and hold onto fluid.  Massaging helps; but you may not see the result of liposuction for 2-3 months, some times up to 6 months.  Be patient and continue with massaing.  If it continues to be painful, visit with your plastic surgeon.

Sugene Kim, MD