Is Breast Reduction by Lipo Advisable?

I'm 31 yrs old and a 38 DD. I weigh about 74 kgs on a 5 ft 3 inch frame. I want to reduce my breasts, but I plan to have a child in 1-2 years. I am, therefore, afraid of going for< breast reduction surgery. I heard Liposuction is least liable to impair lactation. If so, am I a right candidate for breast reduction by lipo?

Only good for a select group of patients

+3

Liposuction of the breast can work well, usually for younger patients with excellent skin tone who will get better skin retraction. I f there is a siginficant amount of ptosis, the droopiness left will probably be unacceptable. On the other hand, the weight reduction alone may reduce the symptoms of back and neck pain, etc. and if these symptoms are severe may be worth the procedure.

It is very good for selected patients.

+2

Hi!

In New York City, about 10% of the breast reductions that we do are liposuction only. It"s a good operation without scars if you want to go down one cup size, and if you don't have too much sagging.

You should also know that a recent large study showed that well performed regular breast reduction does not interfere with breast feeding.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

An awesome procedure!

+2

I do a lot of breast reduction by liposuction, and patients love the procedure.

I warn them that I can't guarantee two things. First, I can't promise how much weight and volume liposuciton will be able to remove. Sometimes we get as much volume off as the patient wanted, but sometimes not. Second, I can't always predict how much the breasts will "snap up" after being emptied of some weight v. laying flatter against the body. Thicker, younger skin with less stretch marks and droopiness does better than the opposite, but you can't know for sure ahead of time how it will end up. In the worst case scenario, you then get a lift later.

One thing to tell you, though, is that 2/3 of women that get standard reductions can lactate anyhow, which is about the same percentage of large breasted women who can lactate. So while we warn all women getting reductions that they may lose that ability, the reality is that it probably doesn't change their chances of breast-feeding very much.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

Liposuction works well for breast reduction

+2

While an infrequently used technique, liposuction works well for breast reduction. I have used it mostly for markedly over weight patients who aren't candidates for standard surgical reduction mamoplasty. It will reduce the breast size and there is some elevation of the nipple areolar complex and the breast in general but it will give the more profound lift that a standard lift gives. It does however not have the scars of a standard lift.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Liposuction only breast reduction

+1
Almost a decade ago, researchers proved that liposuction-only breast reduction provided women with much better results than traditional breast reduction procedures. However, not every woman is a candidate. Breast reduction with liposuction cannot effectively treat sagging, poor skin quality and glandular (rather than fat) hypertrophy.

Women who do not wish to experience scarring following reduction and are willing to risk the development of some level of ptosis are ideal candidates. The procedure is ideal for mild reductions and the correction of breast asymmetry (up to one cup size difference).  

Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to find out whether you are a suitable candidate. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast reduction by Liposuction?

+1

Unless you are looking for a relatively small degree of reduction and do not have significant breast ptosis you will likely be disappointed with the results of liposuction alone.  Regardless, it will be in your best interests to wait   for completion of pregnancies before having any procedure  performed.

In person consultation with a well experienced plastic surgeon will be helpful.

VIDEO (Click Below) Breast reduction with liposuction

+1

Breast reduction can be achieved with liposuction for modest to small reductions with minimal scar. Youd should schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon familar with the technique so that  he/.she can have a full discussion of the risks including alteration in mammograms.

Breast reduction with liposuction alone

+1

Although it is possible to reduce the size of your breast with liposuction, patients should understand the limitations of this procedure. Liposuction will help address the excess volume in the breast but will not change the amount of skin over the position of the blast.

It is possible after this procedure that the patient may have more sagging of the breast them before surgery. This is because the liposuction has removed the internal volume and now the patient has to much skin creating the droopy appearance.

In our practice, we often perform liposuction at the same time as a breast reduction because this will help us contour the sides of the breast and chest, areas which are difficult to reach with a breast reduction alone.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Liposuction and breast reduction

+1

A breast reduction by liposuction certainly can minimize the scars on the breast but it will almost never really lift the breast and tighten the skin envelope. A true breast reduction with incisions will more than likely give you a better shape.