Breast Reduction, Lift, and Implants

I'm posting pics but i am 36DDD. I have ps and weve discussed and scheduled the procedure. he's really made no comments about difficulty of reduction with implants and we are scheduled for 1/11/11 and by listening to your answers I'm very concerned. I want to be full on top and a small implant can produce that look,Help! Im running out of time!

1/11/11 is today!

+2

This question just popped up today so the only thing you can do is trust your doctor whom you have chosen to listen to your desires and to work with what your body gives them and try to get the best of what it allows you to have.  Good luck today!

Breast Lifting and Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thanks for the question.

This is not a question agreed-upon by all plastic surgeons. There are good plastic surgeons who will insist on doing the procedures separately and there are good plastic surgeons who can produce excellent outcomes in a single stage.

The combination breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery differs from breast augmentation surgery alone in that it carries increased risk compared to either breast augmentation or mastopexy surgery performed separately. Furthermore, the potential need for revisionary surgery is increase with breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery done at the same time.

In my opinion, the decision  to do the operation in a single or two  staged fashion becomes a judgment call made by a surgeon after direct examination of the patient.  For me, if I see a patient who needs a great degree of lifting, who has lost a lot of skin elasticity, or  whose goal is a very large augmentation then I think it is best to do the procedures in 2 stages (in order to avoid serious complications). However, doing the procedure one stage does increase the risks of complications in general and the potential need for further surgery. This increased risk must be weighed against the practical benefits of a single stage procedure (which most patients would prefer).

Conversely, if I see a patient who requires minimal to moderate lifting along with a small to moderate size augmentation (and has good skin quality), then doing the procedure one stage is much safer. Nevertheless, the potential risks  are greater with a 1 stage  procedure and the patient does have a higher  likelihood of needing revisionary surgery.

Breast reduction with or without implants 2

+1

I would hold off on the implants until you see the breast reduction results. Doing both procedure at once makes it more complex and less predictable.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Should you have breast implants and a lift also

+1

Based on your photos, I would recommend first doing a breast lift (short scar or vertical incision).  This will give you a better shape and slightly more fullness to your breast.  If you still wanted to be larger, you could have breast implants placed at a second stage (surgery) about 6 months later. The reason to stage your procedures is due to the breast size/volume that you already have. Your outcome will better from a cosmetic standpoint and will be safer from a blood supply standpoint.

You should discuss your case more thoroughly with your plastic surgeon prior to having this type of surgery.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Breast Reduction with Implants?

+1

Your question is not clear.  I think you may be asking if you should have implants placed at the same time as reduction?  You have two options.  You can have the lift/reduction with tissue rearrangement in order to increase upper pole fullness.  Alternatively, you can have a lift/reduction and placement of an implant to increase upper pole fullness.  Hopefully you plastic surgeon has explained all the options to you.  Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Breast lift and implants?

+1

I amnot sure what you are asking.  Are you getting a reduction?  it sounds like that if you want to be perkier and larger, you need a lift +/- an implant.

Something is not right here.

+1

With very large breasts I can see no reason for implants! It should be possible to get excellent results by re arrangement of your tissues in the course of the reduction. There are many techniques for breast reduction. I do not do the same procedure in all patients. I have done Mastopexy with implants but never a reduction. Be clear about what your surgeon is suggesting and get another  opinion if you are not comfortable.

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction, and implants, and lift, Oh my!

+1

I can understand your concern. It is the day of surgery and you are unclear as to what the procedure will actually be. Your fears stem from uncertainty and you should step back and get a better understanding before you jump in. Spend more time preparing so you and your surgeon share common goals and vision of the result you are looking for.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast reduction/lift

+1

Jen,

I will assume that your question is can you have a breast lift or reduction with implants to fill the upper part of your breast.  Unfortunately, today is 1/11/11 and you may already be in surgery.  If you have a board certified plastic surgeon, you are in good hands.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Reduction and implants

+1

I am not sure I understand your question or specific concern but the anxiety in your comments underscore my impression that you are not ready for surgery. What you are undertaking is an elective surgery and unless you have a clear and common goal with your surgeon, and understand the benefits and risks, as well as the actually surgery itself, I would suggest taking a breather and discuss your concerns with him. If you are not completely happy with the results or have complications, your pre-op doubts will magnify your unhappiness.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD