Will I Lose Sensation in My Nipples If I Get A Breast Reduction?

Hi, my bra size is 38DD and the collar measurement to nipple is 36 CM I'm really very afraid if I go for the breast reduction surgery loosing my nipple sensation. what about scare and how i will look with the scare in my husband eyes.

Breast Reduction and Nipple Sensation

+1

You should not lose sensation in the nipple with a breast reduction surgery. There is a very small chance of this and has never happened to me so far after thousands of breast reduction procedures. Breast reduction patients are usually very happy with their results and this is usually not an issue.

Breast Reduction and Loss of Sensation?

+1

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform for patients with symptomatic breast hypertrophy. Of course, like with any operation, patients and surgeons must weigh the potential benefits against the potential risks/ complications associated with the procedure. This consideration includes the presence of scars;  you should look at lots of pictures of breast reduction scars with your husband prior to surgery.
A loss of nipple/areola sensation rate of 5 to 15% with  breast reduction surgery is probably accurate.

+1

The large majority of breast reduction patients have the same degree of nipple sensation after surgery that they had before surgery unless the technique used is one called a "free nipple graft technique." That is generally reserved for patients with massive breasts, not for someone of your size. But loss of sensitivity is a small risk always.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Nipple sensation and breast reduction

+1

It is a risk with the procedure but a low one.  The more tissue removed, ie. the more aggressive the reduction, the higher the risk.  Inform your surgeon of the importance of this and you will together come to an agreement as to a safe reduction technique with minimal risk.

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon