Breast Reduction in 2 Weeks but I Weigh 200lbs. Please Answer my Question. Thanks (photo)

I weigh 200lbs and i'm getting a reduction in 2 weeks. Going from a FF to a C cup. If i lose 50+ lbs sometime after the surgery, will my breasts get even smaller or look hideous? Should i put off the surgery till i am closer to a goal weight? It has been hard to do thus far since my chest is so big. Thats partly WHY i am getting the surgery, so i will be able to excercise more often. What is your advice?? Thank You!

Weight loss prior to breast reduction surgery - a dilemma

+1

Having seen many of my patients dramtically increase their activity level and self confidence after breast reduction surgery - I do not think its important to wait until you are close to your 'ideal body weight' - who really is anyway ?

If you do go on to lose 50-60 lbs after BBR surgery, you may or may not see some changes in the upper pole volume and position of the breast tissue. Certainly not a reason to delay having this wonderful operation done !

No right or wrong answer

+1

Your current dilema is somewhat common.  Many patients with breast hypertrophy are unable to lose their desired amount of weight because their symptoms make exercise too difficult.  After breast reduction, these patients are often able to exercise and obtain their desired weight loss.  However, losing additional weight after breast reduction may or may not have a detrimental effect on the appearance of the breasts.  Some patients may encounter unacceptable breast droopiness, and seek a breast lift.  On the other hand, if a patient waits to have surgery until they have reach their desired weight, that day may never come if their symptoms are to severe.  Thus, like many decisions in plastic surgery, patients must weigh the risk and benefits a decide which option is right for them.   

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction - Breast Reduction in 2 Weeks but I Weigh 200lbs

+1

I generally recommend that patients be at or near the lowest weight they can reasonably maintain before undergoing a procedure such as this.  But that's not always practical and there are many women who have been able to keep to an exercise program only AFTER having it jump started with a breast reduction.  The flip side of that is that if you lose 50 pounds after having a breast reduction your breasts will probably not look the same as they did right after the surgery.  So you'll need to decide, with your plastic surgeon, which approach makes the most sense for you.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Losing Weight After Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

I usually recommend that patients are at their lowest, most stable weight prior to having any type of surgery.  This will allow for the best possible results.

Yes, most likely if you lose 50 pounds after the breast reduction surgery, your breast size will also change (get smaller).  I would recommend going back in and speaking with your surgeon to see what the best option is for you.

Pre-op breast reduction questions

+1

In general it is always best to be at your target weight before breast reduction surgery. However, that is not always possible for a variety of reasons. As far as future weight loss is concerned, some women lose weight in their breasts and others don't. I doubt your breasts would look hideous after weight loss. You should discuss these concerns with your plastic surgeon so that he or she can plan your surgery accordingly. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon