Having Breast Reduction in Three Weeks and Considering Abdominal Work, Should I Lose More Weight First?

I am 45 y/o, 5 7 1/2 and weigh 203 lbs. I am having breast reduction in three weeks and have considered getting my tummy done at the same time. I have consulted my PS about this and he said that we could do both. My concern is that after this is all done, my recovery time and chances of regaining the weight back. I have lost weight and plateaued at this 203. Should I wait and try to lose more weight or will all of this reduction help?

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1

The answer is either.

Yes, it is good to lose all the weight that you can prior to tummy tuck but also you said that you are stuck at 203 lbs. Sometimes, getting the tummy tuck can make it easier for you to exercise after you have recovered.

Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Best of luck.

Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction can be done together but Tummy Tuck Result will be better if you lose weight first.

+1

Especially with a Tummy Tuck it is very important to lose as much excess weight as safely possible prior to the Tummy Tuck procedure.

Extra fat beneath the abdominal skin limits the amount of skin that can be removed and lessens the amount of tightening that the surgeon can achieve.

In addition, if you continue to lose weight after surgery the newly tightened tummy will become loose or lax again.

It is important to decide what is a reasonable weight level for you to achieve, achieve it and maintain it for a few months and then have your Tummy Tuck. This will help you maintain a nice result.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Always best to lose weight before any type of procedure

+1

It is always recommended to be at 'ideal' weight when undergoing any type of procedure. That being said, I know it can be extremely hard to reach that goal. Most of my patients that undergo Breast Reduction surgery get a 'psychological' boost of sorts from feeling and looking better. They find it easier to excercise and make lifestyle changes that improve their overall health. Loosing weight is not only easier on your body, but the risks and complications associated with anesthesia and wound healing are significantly reduced. I hope this helps, best wishes

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and breast reduction

+1

If you are planning to lose weight, you should not have a tummy tuck until after you have done so and maintained a stable weight for six months.  If you have plateaued in terms of the weight loss, you should seek the advice of a medical professional on a different type of diet or a new exercise regimen.  I perform a large number of breast reductions each year and find that, after the surgery, patients, who no longer have back and shoulder pain, are much more likely to exercise and to lose weight.  Best of luck with the reduction surgery.  Dr. K

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tuck and breast reduction

+1

The results seen from most contouring procedures in plastic surgery are better when at or near the weight at which you plan to live.  While you currently may be somewhat overweight, if you are happy and satisfied with your weight and have no plans for further weight loss, combining a tummy tuck with your breast reduction may be a good idea.  However, if you have plans to lose more than 15 or 20 lbs, I would generally suggest that you do so before undergoing a tummy tuck.  

If you do combine these two procedures, you should realize that this a substantial amount of surgery and likely will require a longer time to recover.  Many women do combine procedures, however, to decrease costs and minimize overall recovery time.  Talk this over in detail with your plastic surgeon.  Best of luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Worak at Same Time as Breast Reduction

+1

Ideally, you should be at a lower body weight before a tummy tuck so as to get better results. However, if you have loose skin and don't think that you can shed more weight, then it may be reasonable to do it. If you choose to wait until after the breast reduction, you may find that you can be more physically active (without the large breasts) and possible be able to lose more weight, then have a tummy tuck. Good Luck!

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Work and Weight Loss?

+1

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery;  it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

In regards to the “abdominal work”,  it would be in your best interest to be as close as possible to your long-term “stable weight” as possible. Being at this weight will decrease the  chances that you will need further surgery ( for example if you were to lose weight after surgery).