Breast Reduction in San Antonio, TX? Is 3% doable at this body weight and cup size?

I have contacted a doctor found here on RealSelf, but the secretary has not answered my question, she only wanted to know if I was ready to schedule the $50 consultation. I know my insurance will cover the procedure if 3% of my body weight is removed. I'm 160 pounds and wear a GG, last measured. Recently lost 30 pounds, so band size went down & cup from GGG. Can have all other documents available. 

Breast reduction

+2

Good luck with choosing a breast reduction surgeon in San Antonio. You can start by looking at the ASPS or ASAPS websites for a surgeon.

+2

Recently insurance company guidelines for breast reduction have become more complicated.  In addition, GG or GGG cup size does not necessarily mean 3% of body weight because breast weight per cup size depends on the density of the breast tissue, even though at that cup size the breasts usually do comprise 3% of the body weight.  Depending on the type of insurance policy you have, your insurance should cover your consultation as well.  If you have a co-pay or your deductible has not been met that is a different story.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction

+2

That sounds like a lot of weight to take off for your size. You'll never know until you have an exam and your insurance should cover the consultation. Over the last 20 years I find most of my patients do reductions as cosmetic prepaid surgery because the insurance requirements for the surgery have become so unrealistic. It should not be too much more thatn an augmentation would cost with silicone implants, so it is certainly affordable for most patients considering the lifetime benefits of the procedure.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Insurance coverage varies

+2

Thank you for your question.  Insurance criteria for breast reduction varies state to state.  Are you saying that 3% of your body weight total needs to be removed?  If so, I calculate this to be about 2.5 pounds per breast.  This is a little more than 1000 grams per breast.  That is a pretty large amount of tissue to remove.  In my practice I do not remove that amount very often.  However, it is done in patients with very large breasts.  So depending on your pre-existing breast size, it may be possible.  Your plastic surgeon's office should be able to help you with this.  Hope this helps.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Breast Reduction Consultation Process?

+2

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

The purpose of the consultation process is careful evaluation of a patient's situation; this evaluation will allow for recommendations regarding suitability for surgery etc. Neither the plastic surgeon's secretary or online consultants will be able to provide you with accurate/specific enough advice. Again, this advice can only be provided after in person history, physical examination, communication of goals, discussion of surgical options available, risks/complications…  Your plastic surgeon consultant will also be in a position to advise you about the likelihood of insurance company coverage.

Breast reduction approval

+1

You have to start with an evaluation by a plastic surgeon to determine if you are a candidate for a breast reduction.  Then it is up to your insurance companies requirement if the procedure would be approved.