Will Breast Reduction Improve my Posture?

I'm 33 years old at 5"0 and now weighing around 130 lb. I've always been uncomfortable with my breast size which always fluctuated between 34C - 36B causing horrible posture and low self esteem. I've gained 15 lbs in the last two years and my current breast size is 36C. I am considering breast reduction surgery because of my posture which I can see has curved around my upper back and sometimes I systematically round my shoulders. I have frequent back, neck and shoulder pain.

Breast Reduction San Diego, CA

+2

Improvement in posture is possible after breast reduction surgery IF your poor posture is from either disproportionately large and heavy breasts OR if your poor posture is from large breasts that are positioned very low on your chest (sagging).  The lift associated with breast reduction improves biomechanics of breast support, relieves mid to upper back, neck, and shoulder aching, and slouching from the constant pull of sagging breasts on your paraspinous muscles.  Biomechanics are worse in shorter women, and also depends on shape of your ribs.

Breast reduction and posture

+2

Improvement in posture in someone with really heavy breasts is very well known but by no means guaranteed. given your age look into "Scarless" breast reduction using liposuction only. Could be an option

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for Improved Posture

+1

Breast Reduction will absolutely relieve the pressure and pulling on your shoulders and upper neck.   If you look at the back of women who have large breasts it is usual to find that there are deep grooves from the pressure of their bra straps.   In addition, the trapezius muscles just adjacent to the strap and reaching toward the neck, is grossly enlarged.   The enlargement is due to the constant contraction of this muscle as a way of holding up the oversized breasts.   The gravitational force of the heavy breasts draws the shoulders forward, rounding the shoulders and curving the upper back and spine.   Reducing the size and weight of the breasts will reduce this gravitational force.   Post-operatively, the majority of patients feel instant relief many commenting that they were unaware of the degree of discomfort and pain.   It may take some posture retraining after your reduction to consistently improve your posture habits.   I frequently suggest my patients attend core training or dance classes to focus on their posture.

Carlin Vickery, MD

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Based on your description of symptoms you may be an excellent candidate for the breast reduction procedure,  one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

It may behoove you to meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss your concerns in person.

Breast reduction

+1

Their are clear indications for breast reduction surgery which are back and neck pain, shoulder grooving from the bra and chronic rashes. The weight of the breast can certainly lead to alteration in your posture which you have identified.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can review the procedure and provide you with appropriate guidance.

Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction surgery can change lives.

+1

Large breasts can cause a panoply of problems;

1- breast pain

2- neck and back pain

3- notching of the shoulders where the bra rests

4- Intertrigo - a rash under the breasts

5- increased fatigue , especially at the end of the day

6- reduced physicial activity because of tall of the above, as well as depression resulting in weight gain. This gain increases the size of the breasts making the symptoms worse.

Breast reduction surgery can stop the cycle and resolve or improve many of the symptoms described above.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Will Breast Reduction improve posture?

+1

Many patients have good symptomatic relief of neck pain , back pain, shoulder grooving and overall posture after breast reduction surgery. Consult a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area experienced in breast surgery. 

Stephen Delia, MD