Upper fullness with minor breast reduction and lift?

I'm in the consult stage of breast lift & minor reduction - 36DD down to Full C. I was told by one Dr. that I would not need implants for reshaping. Can I get a great shape & upper fullness with just the minor reduction and lift?

Breast Shape/Fullness after Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to give you good advice without direct examination.

Generally, it is difficult to achieve much superior pole fullness/volume after breast reduction or breast lifting alone. Often, breast implants are necessary to achieve these goals. Sometimes these procedures can be done in one stage;  sometimes it is safer to do them in a 2 staged fashion.

I would suggest continued consultations with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast Reduction - Do I Need Implants, too?

+1

Hi LA1234 in Baton Rouge, LA,

It is, of course, not possible to give you a precise answer without being able to examine you in person.

However, in general, if you're the size you are pre-op, I would think that you can get a very nice result with just a breast reduction.  Implants do, in fact, usually give a better result in terms of superior fullness than just breast tissue, but it's not practical to remove breast tissue - and then replace it right away as an implant.  Implants are most often used when the procedure chosen is a breast lift, perhaps with a small reduction, but in which the patient wants at least a little increase in volume.  To go from a DD for a full C is basically a lift with already-large brats - you shouldn't need an implant with that.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast reduction together with breast implants

+1

A breast can frequently be shaped during a breast reduction to give more upper fullness. The vertical incision (lolly-pop) techniques tend to accomplish this better. The result depends on your skin quality and overall breast shape. The addition of an implant may help but also adds more complexity and risk to your surgery. Posting your picture may help with recommendations.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast reduction and need for implant to achieve upper breast fullness

+1

Generally speaking if you have upper fullness prior to the reduction you will have it after the reduction. However, if you lack it now, the reduction will not accomplish fullness. This is best achieved with an implant or fat grafting to the upper poritons of the breast.

Can I get a great shape & upper fullness with just the minor reduction and lift?

+1

Regarding: "Breast Reduction and Implants
I'm in the consult stage of breast lift & minor reduction - 36DD down to Full C. I was told by one Dr. that I would not need implants for reshaping. Can I get a great shape & upper fullness with just the minor reduction and lift
?"

Both Breast Reduction and Breast lift operations result in a lifting of the breasts and making them perkier. The difference is the AMOUNT of breast tissue removed. While a Breast lift can be limited only to the removal of sagging breast skin, in many cases it CAN involve the removal of small amounts of breast tissue to achieve either a small reduction or better symmetry between the breasts.  A Breast Reduction involves the removal of a much greater volume of breast tissue.

In your case, you should be able to achieve nice and perky breasts with a Short Scar Breast Lift (such as a Hall-Findlay Breast Lift). Breast implants are NOT needed.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Breast reduction

+1

If you require a breast reduction and you want a better shape this can often be achieved with just a reduction.

Medial pedicle breast reduction/lift is recommended

+1

From your description, I think a small breast reduction/ breast lift would be recommended.  The "internal" part, and as to which "pedicle" is chosen by the plastic surgeon, really leads to the best long-term shaping and projection of the breast.  Many plastic surgeons still perform inferior pedicle techniques, which remove tissue from the upper aspect of the breast (as well as lower outer and lower inner areas) while leaving the lower central area behind.  This technique has a high incidence over time of "bottoming out".  The medial pedicle technique preserves the upper inner part as the "pedicle" while removing the tissue from the lower areas in particular.  This often gives better forward projection and a longer lasting shape to the breast.  This technique also does NOT tend to "over-reduce" the breast size as the traditional technique often did.  There are cases that even after a reduction some patients may necessitate a small breast implant to add shaping and projection but that, in my opinion, is never something that is done at the same time, but is better to done later at least 6 months after the reduction settles.  I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

James F. Boynton, MD

Vertical breast reduction will give you good shape without implants.

+1

Hi.

It's all about how the breast reduction and lift are done.  The techniques that give the best long term shape are the Lejour and Hall-Findlay operations (lollipop scars).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Reduction and Implants

+1

Best to post photo so I could review to determine oif an implant is what you need. I doubt it but there is always a chance. From MIAMI 

Breast Reduction and Implants

+1

Without seeing pictures or examining you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  However, in come cases, I use an implant during breast reduction/lift to obtain more upper pole fullness.  However, in other cases, it is possible to use your own tissue as a kind of auto-augmentation to obtain more upper pole fullness.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD