Possible to Have Only One Surgery for Uneven Breasts?

I have uneven breasts. I have seen a plastic surgeon but he said I need to get breast reduction, then have the breast implants placed. I remember watching Dr. 90210 on TV, and there was a girl who had the same problem. She had only one surgery to correct this. I thought maybe she only had one implant placed, but I remember seeing her have two placed. Is this a different procedure? If so, what is it called?

Single or Two Staged Breast Reduction/Augmentation?

+1

There are reasons related to blood supply and will healing as well as the need for revisionary surgery that your surgeon recommended a two-stage procedure.

When a patient requires a significant breast reduction and breast implants ( for example for upper pole fullness) I tend to recommend the two-staged approach as well.

In person consultation with a few well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons may give you peace of mind.

Uneven Breasts Often Get Best Results When Both Sides Are Treated

+1

First, it's difficult to give you specific recommendations without seeing a photo of your breasts.  Obviously, when you consult with a plastic surgeon, he/she will have the benefit of a thorough exam.  The response is based on HOW uneven your breasts are, including their shape and the position of the nipples. For example, some women have very large, drooping breasts, one just bigger than the other: a bilateral breast reduction will serve the purpose to even their size and the position of the nipples.  Some women have uneven position of their nipples with or without size discrepancy:  these women may require a lift, possibly with a slight reduction on one side if there is a size discrepancy. Because a lift reshapes the breast, both sides may benefit from the lift so as to make sure the shapes are symmetrical. And some women have small to moderate breasts that are uneven in size:  bilateral breast augmentation with implants of different size or dimension may suffice to correct the unevenness.

The complaint about uneven breasts in my young patients (which sounds like what you are referring to) is frequently "developmental": one side is very small and mound-shaped, and the other is more normal sized and "breast shaped" or possibly "tubular shaped".  My experience is that when a woman has uneven breasts like this, the best result is attained when the larger breast is reduced to the size (and shape) of the small breast, then implants are placed on both sides to adjust for the volume desired. This helps to place the nipples at the same position and create a similar shape that would otherwise not be achieved with merely placing an implant in the smaller breast... a single implant in the small breast without surgical treatment on the other side will merely make that breast appear larger and moundish, and it is likely the nipple will not be in a horizontal line with the other side.

I suggest you seek a second opinion with a plastic surgeon experienced with this type of problem and then you can choose which surgeon you have the most trust and confidence in.   Good Luck!

Jana K. Rasmussen, MD

Surgery for uneven breasts

+1

Today, patients have many great options to contour the breasts and establish symmetry between the breasts. In our practice, we work closely with the patient to understand what they would like their breasts to ultimately look like. With this in mind, we can create surgical procedures that will enlarge or reduce one or both breasts to help them become more symmetric. Depending on the difference between your breasts, this can be a complicated procedure.
Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience with breast lift, breast reduction and breast implant surgery so that they can understand the aesthetic goal you're trying to reach and design a combination of procedures that will help you meet your goals.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Uneven breasts

+1

Uneven breasts are routine. However, the larger the asymmetry the more difficult it is to get them to look close to the same. They will NEVER look exactly alike. Without a formal examination it is impossible to even suggest what could be done for you. Making one smaller or bigger to match the other side.

Possible to have one surgery for uneven breasts

+1

Doing things all at once is possible but the chances of getting a good match is less than if you plan it in two operations. Trying to predict the final result of a breast reduction is tricky. I would see a few good doctors and go from there.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry

+1

This is a very difficult problem and I would recommend seeing a plastic surgeon that feels comfortable with this procedure. I have dealt with this issue many times and it is possible to perform the surgery in one shot. But I do always tell my patients the chances of revision surgery is a lot higher in breast asymmetry surgery than other breast surgeries.

I would encourage you to look at my website and the link before and take note of the patient that I have posted. I would doubt that your asymmetry is as bad as hers, as she is a very unusual case. She was done in one surgery.

Good luck. Again make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon and one that is familiar with breast asymmetry.

http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/before-after-breast-lift-3.php

Farbod Esmailian, MD

One operation is possible for uneven breasts

+1

Hellokitty333:

Since most women have some differences, a single operation is the most common method, but there are women in whom two procedures can give a more even result. If you have found an experienced surgeon, and had an in-person consultation / evaluation, I suspect you would benefit from the two-stage approach. I would not however expect that reduction of both and then augmentation of both would be the most common answer for the average woman with asymmetry.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breasts are very common and correctable

+1

Most feel that the breast is even and symmetric on most individuals because of our experience with fashion media. The truth is that most women have a subtle unevenness to the breast, one being slightly larger than the other, or being of a slightly different shape. As a cosmetic surgeon I encounter this daily in our patients seeking breast augmentation, and very many patients do not appreciate these differences until pointed out. During breast augmentation we frequently will adjust the size, profile, or pocket shape to soften any differences.

Sometimes the breasts are very uneven and instead of appearing like two sisters can look like cousins, or at the worst appear unrelated. In these instances we can draw from our experience in breast reduction, breast lift, and breast augmentation to make the breasts as even as possible. The first consideration is current cup size, and what cup size is acceptable to the individual. Next, if an implant is required, it is often best to plan such that an implant is used on both sides to produce a result that has a similar feel and texture. Sometimes augmentation with different implants on each side will solve the problem. Indeed this can mean that a reduction of some degree is needed on one side, with some degree of lift so that an implant can be placed to match the size of the augmented breast on the opposite side, again with or without any needed lift if the augmentation result might become too big for your goals or desire. Say you would be very pleased with a C cup with an augmentation of your smaller breast, however its droopy mate is already a full C. The solution then can be augmentation of the small breast, and reduction -augmentation of the larger breast. If the smaller breast is large enough as it is, then the reduction of the larger breast, again with some lift will suffice alone. Uneven breasts can be corrected in one procedure once your personal preferences are understood and yes,all the tools we have to produce a well shaped and attractive breast can be used in concert, in one procedure. The first step is to learn to know what you like, your surgeon should be able to come close to your goal.

peterejohnsonmd

How can I treat asymmetric breasts?

+1

Asymmetric breasts have many reasons for the asymmetry. Some of the reasons include: size of the breast tissue, location of the nipple, location of the inframammary fold (crease under the breast), congenital deformities (Poland syndrome), previous biopsies that have reduced the size of the breast, etc. There is not really one general answer that can be given to this question. This really does require a thorough consultation. It is likely that you need a breast lift and then maybe an asymmetric augmentation to achieve better symmetry. If you are unsure, ask your surgeon again. If you are still unsure, seek out a second opinion. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Breast asymmetry can be corrected in one operation.

+1

Hi!

Uneven breasts can be corrected in one surgery. Most often, something different is done to each breast, but at the same time.

Of course, without seeing your anatomy, I cannot say what each breast needs. But I would encourage you, because most women are very happy after correction of breast asymmetry.

See link below.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)