Significantly Larger Breast - Breast Reduction or Implant?

I have a significantly larger breast. Yes just one. I am a 34 D and 5"2 weight of 138. Im hoping once i stop breast feeding the larger breast will shrink. But i dont want them both to shrink. But should i get the larger one reduced or the smaller one larger? Desperate for advice.

Different size breasts

+3

While the discussion of whether to augment one breast or reduce the other seems simple, there are many options that must be considered.  First you should wait several months after stopping breast feeding as milk is often present in the ducts many months after you stop. Additionally, your breast may change considerably  in the first 3-6 months after stopping breast feeding. Secondly you must have an examination that closely examines how your breasts are different.  Patients often have more than a volume difference (ie. they often have one breast longer or wider than the other and often have different nipple positions and even differing breast shapes). These items must be considered or you will likely be unhappy with your result. 

While a few patients may indeed be improved by unilateral (one sided) surgery, I find that it is often necessary to do something to both.  Having a frank and open discussion with your PS about your desired size, shape and acceptance of scar will point you in the right direction.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Pick which breast size you like!

+2

Breast asymmetry is common - you are not alone!  But the beauty of it is that you can pick which size you like.  Keep in mind that a reduction will leave scars on your breast but that is the best way to make a match if you want to be smaller and get a lift at the same time.  If you want both breasts to be bigger, you can have an augmentation on both sides with 2 different size implants.

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

You should think about what size is right for you.

+2

I feel that the most important question you should ask yourself, is  size wise, which side do you prefer?  do you see yourself as a larger breasted woman or smaller breasted woman?  After you decide which side you prefer as far as size, then you can discuss surgical options such as reductions on one side  or augmenations on the other to reach your desired look. 

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery after nursing.

+2

It is a good idea to decide around 6 months after you stop breast feeding once you see the actual soze of both breasts. 

Asymmetric breast

+2

I would definitely wait at least 6 months after your breast feeding to see how your breasts shape up.  Although most breasts decrease in volume after breast feeding, some women maintain their breast size afterwards.  If breast decrease in size, it will be both sides.   Whether to reduce one breast vs. augmenting the other breast is up to your preference.  You have to see which side and what size you prefer.  If you decide on augmenting one breast, you may need breast lift on the other side.  Again, I would wait until you are done with breast feeding.

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast asymmetry

+2

It is a matter of what you prefer.  If you like the smaller one, then a reduction, i f you like the bigger one, than implants.

Treating breast asymmetry

+2

It will be easier to match them if you reduce the larger one rather than to augment the smaller one.  Ask yourself though which side you like better.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Asymmetry and Options?

+1

It would be in your best interests to allow for at least 3 months to pass after you have completed breast-feeding to evaluate the condition and symmetry of your breasts.  At that point, meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss your goals ( I like the use of “goal pictures”).  after you have clearly communicated what your goals are your plastic surgeon will be able to discuss the best options to achieve them.

The key to your success will be selection of a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast Reduction - One Side, Breast Lift, Implant - What Should I Do?

+1

Hi gastonia in gastonia,nc,

Great question - unfortunately, there isn't a great answer via this forum.  It is impossible to give advice in a case like this without seeing a photo, and it may be hard enough to do so even with a photo.  A lot will depend on what your preferences are.

Which breast do you like better?  If you have sagging on the larger side (nothing personal, of course) you may need a lift or reduction that side just to bring them up to the same level.  Your best result may wind up being a lift on one side and an implant on the other.

The best procedure(s) will need to be determined by you in consultation with your plastic surgeon.  You can ask your own doctor for some referrals and/or go to surgery dot org to find some.

Finally, there is the issue of cost.  Implants are almost never covered in non-reconstructive situations, and even a breast reduction is not likely to be covered unless enough tissue, relative you your total body mass, is being removed.  Each company is different, so you'll have to find out what the policies are for yours.  And your surgeon should be able to help you do that.

The first step then:  a consultation with a plastic surgeon near you.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

A breast with an implant ages differently than a breast without an implant.

+1

In my 20 years of experience  performing breast surgery, I find that a smaller breast augmented to match the larger natural breast does not age in the same way as the larger breast without the implant.

If there is a significant volume difference in your breasts after the changes related to breast feeding have resolved, I would recommend getting a reduction of the larger breast. You can then decide if you desire larger breasts and get the same size implant in both breasts that are similar in natural volume. This approach will keep your breasts more symmetric in appearance as you age.

Aysel Sanderson, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon