Do Doctors Perform Breast Reduction with a Horizontal Incision Line?

Has anyone seen the horizontal incision line connect between the breasts? I have been looking at everyone's after photos and have not seen this done. I should note that my breasts were previously VERY large and widely separated.

Breast Reduction - Do Doctors Perform Breast Reduction with a Horizontal Incision Line?

+2

Assuming you mean that the horizontal limbs of the anchor-shaped scars connect across the midline, I would suggest that this is not normally done and, in fact, doctors normally try to avoid this.  If done, it is most commonly because the breasts essentially abut each other at the midline.  When it is necessary to have the incision lines correct, inserting a Z or Step-plasty may help break up the straight-line scar that can otherwise be somewhat of a problem.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Scar across the midline form a reduction

+1

I would also agree and say that this is not normally done as it often leaves a very unsightly scar on the chest. But, I would encourage you to discuss the reason why it was doen with your surgeona nd he should have a very reasonable explanation, and this is something that he should have told you before the procdure as this is certainly outside the normal scar for a breast reduction.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Connecting Horizontal Incision Lines?

+1

Although not possible to comment on your specific situation, it would be unusual for the horizontal incisions used during breast  reduction surgery to cross the midline and communicate with one another. If this has occurred in your case it may be that it was necessary given the description of your breasts (that you provide).

Address these questions/concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Connecting incisions from breast reduction surgery

+1

I have seen this on a very few occasions as it is better to avoid it if possible. You could certainly ask your surgeon about it; there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation. Good luck.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon