Breast Reduction Hematoma?

It has been exactly 2months after my breast reduction. The minute I left the hospital I noticed that my left breast is DOUBLE the size of my right. I went back & the doctor said that it was a Hematoma and that it will resolve on its own. The bruising is gone, but the hematoma is not. Size? It is about a fist and a half large on the side of my breast. I am not numb, I can feel the nipple just fine, and the skin is normal color. I need a 2ed opinion. What do you think? leave it?

Hematoma after breast reduction surgery

Hematoma is certainly one of the more common complications that can occur with breast reduction surgery. While there is no exact right answer, generally, if the involved breast is over 1.5 times the size of the other breast, I will typically drain this. More importantly, if I feel the hematoma will have a detrimental affect (wound healing,skin loss, infection) on the involved breast I will recommend a drainage procedure of some sort. This could be needle aspiration or an open procedure. A second opinion is worth while if you do not trust the answer you are getting from your surgeon. 

1535 Lake Cook Road
Northbrook, IL 60062

May need surgical drainage of a hematoma

Hematomas can occur after any surgery including breast reduction.  Some surgeons place drains other do not.  A significant hematoma can occur even when drains are used, so a drain will not prevent this from occurring.  If your breast is twice as large as the other side then this is a hematoma that may need to be surgically drained as it can have a detrimental effect on healing causing more pain, stiffness of the soft tissue and generally delaying an otherwise uneventful recovery.

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Concerns after Breast Reduction?

Always  best to check with your own plastic surgeon about concerns after surgery.  If still in doubt, a second opinion with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area may be helpful to you.

Online consultants will not be able to provide you with meaningful diagnosis, treatment recommendations, or reassurance.
Best wishes;  hopefully, you will be very pleased with the  long-term outcome of the breast reduction procedure.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Treatment of hematoma after breast reduction

Some hematomas will resolve on their own whereas others should be drained. I would recommend a second opinion. Consideration should be given to daring a hematoma of this size.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Hematoma after breast reduction

If you have a hematoma, it sis really up to your doctor to decide how to treat it. If you are concerned, then I suggest you get a second opinion but his will require an exam.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028