Recurring Hematoma After Breast Reduction. What to Do?

Had a BR 5 wks ago overseas, one recovered normally other developed hematoma soon afterwards, I thought it was recovering at different stages. It was very hard, painful and extremely bruised. I was not fit to fly back and saw own doctor and referred to consultant. This took several days, It has been aspirated 3 times weekly.The ultrasound shows a large collection each time. Very sore, hard, and bruised compared with the other. How many times can this go on for? relief lasts a day then pain rtn

Repeat Fluid Accumulation after Breast Reduction?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced.  Your treating plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you because he/she knows your clinical situation best. Generally speaking, if you continue to have fluid accumulation ( despite multiple aspirations),  you may need to have a  suction drain placed into the space. Hopefully this will be effective in keeping the area fluid free and allowing this space to “collapse”. Otherwise, surgical intervention ( and removal of any unhealthy tissue  or  scar tissue/ membrane may be necessary.

Again continue to follow-up with your treating plastic surgeon.

Need To Treat The Problem, Not The Symptom

+1

My first question is: is the fluid that is being drained truly red blood, or is it straw colored or some place in between?  If it is truly red blood, you may still have a leaking vessel.  This is very unlikely.  More than likely, the recurrent fluid build up has created a membrane around the cavity containing the fluid.  This membrane is probably producing fluid now.  A in-dwelling drain would be the first thing I would do.  Add to that, pressure, some tight ace wraps to close off the area in the breast that may be producing the fluid, and then placement of a sclerosing agent (an agent that induces inflammation leading to fibrosis or closing of the pocket).  These 3 elements should stop the drainage. 

All this being said, you need a good general or plastic surgeon to do all of the above, and of course, watch closely for redness.  You are a set up for infection. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

A drain needs to be placed

+1

This can occur with any surgery. If it keeps building up fluid a drain should be place until it drys out or a agent is placed to help it stop.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD