Breast Reduction Hematoma is Still Hard and Sore. Normal?

Had reduction 18 days ago, drains removed following day. Excessive swelling on one more obvious - was told it would settle. Bruising and shape compared with other was not reducing. Managed to get referred to surgeon in own country and ultrasound showed large mass. It was aspirated and a large hematoma reduced yesterday, a sample sent for analysis. I was hoping I would feel an improvement today however it is very hard still and sore, is this normal and could it have filled again?

Hematoma After Breast Reduction

+2

I am sorry that you are going through this.  Unfortunately, hematomas (a swelling composed of blood) do occur even to the best of surgeons.  When hematoma occurs, that means blood has leaked not only into the pocket which was drained, but throughout all the tissue in that breast.  Even if the hematoma is completely gone, it will take weeks and weeks for the swelling, due to the free blood in your tissue, to go down.  Unfortunately, draining a hematoma does not always treat the cause of the hematoma, i.e. one or more leaking vessels.  Therefore, yes, the hematoma could reoccur.  Also, after a hematoma is drained and if the hematoma pocket does not collapse immediately, tissue fluid known as serum could occupy the space previously occupied by blood referred to as a seroma. 

Probably, you are cured and the swelling is just post injury swelling, but stick with the surgeon who drained your pocket and be sure they check your breast several weeks after the hematoma is gone to be sure nothing new has developed. 

Ultimately, your breast will settle down and there should be no long term residual from having the hematoma. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Resolving hematoma following a breast reduction

+1

A hematoma is a collection of blood.  Blood is very irritating to the surrounding soft tissue consequently your breast is firm and sore.  This is part of the natural evolution of this type of post operative complication.