Would Breast Reduction Be Good for Teens?

I am a 14 year old freshman in highschool and have 38 DD breasts. Ive had D sized breasts since I was in the 5th grade. They cause me back pain, neck pain, and occasianally bruising on the shoulders. They've caused many embarassing moments in school and have seriously affected my social life. They cause more problems but basically, I would like to know if I am a good candidate for a breast reduction.

Would breast reduction be good?

+1

Thank you for your question!  I hope that these answers help in making your decision.  You suffer from juvenile hypertrophy of the breasts, which is typically treated by breast reduction.  It is not uncommon to have the symptoms that you describe such as neck/back/shoulder pain as well as infections/rashes and shoulder grooving, especially in teenagers once her breasts begin to fully develop.  You are certainly a candidate, but the decision on whether to proceed and the timing will ultimately be yours.

Once one begins to have the symptoms that you state above, consideration for a surgical procedure to ameliorate your symptoms, assist with self esteem, and allow you to get back to physical activities in your youth should be done.  Given your symptoms,  you would be an ideal candidate.  You must first discuss with your parents and pediatrician, and then consulting with a plastic surgeon for evaluation and examination to assist you in deciding if this would be the right thing for you.  Your surgeon will also go over what to expect as well as the risks and benefits of the procedure.  Overall, your symptoms should be ameliorated almost immediately and hopefully give you more self confidence and an increased activity level.  Your breasts may still continue to grow over the next several years, but it is certainly reasonable to consider this at this age with the issues that you are having.  I hope that this helps!  Good luck with your decision!

Breast reduction for teenager

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

It sounds like you have done your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Teenage breast reduction

+1

I would suggest that you speak to your family pediatrician for a referral to a reputable board certified plastic surgeon. Upon consultation and examination a well trained plastic surgeon will be able to discuss the pros and cons, benefits and risks of breast reduction surgery. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction is likely a great option even for teens

+1

Breast reduction procedures have very high satisfaction rates, and for women who have symptoms related to their breasts, these symptoms almost invariably improve.  Since you are probably not done growing yet, there is a possibility your breasts will continue to grow.  If that's the case, you can even have the procedure redone at a later age (after children, etc.)

You should probably see your pediatrician to make to get their approval and then have a consultation with one or two board certified plastic surgeons.  Given your size, it's likely that this would be an insurance covered benefit!

Good luck!  Dr. Kaufman

David L. Kaufman, MD
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

+1

You need an evaluation from your Peds, an Endocrine doc, and a boarded PS This is to see if your diagnosis is "virginal hypertrophy". Just did a 16 year old reduction in the hospital. So yes reductions can be done on teens. 

Breast Reduction in Teens

+1

If you have symptoms (which is sounds like you are) and it is interfering with your activities and affecting you psychologically, then you should go ahead and have the surgery.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD