Can I Have a Breast Reduction from a Full-ish C to a B?

I'm a 19 year old who has lost 30 lbs over the last 4-5 years. I started out as a small 34DD, however, I noticed that over the last 10 lbs or so that I lost, my bra size did not change at all and has remained a 34C. I'm only 5'2 and 115 lbs, so size really does matter as the smallest alteration can make a world of a difference. My question is would a doctor even perform this surgery? I've heard from a few friends that a surgeon might be reluctant to perform it because the change is minimal.

Breast Reduction and Resulting Cup Size?

+1

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients, like you, wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. ‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

"Minimal" breast reduction is possible with good patient-physician communication.

+1

Breast reduction is a great procedure, as long as both the patient and surgeon are on the same page.  The basic objectives are excising excess skin and breast tissue and repositioning and possibly reducing the circumference of the nipple-areolar complex to a higher position on the chest wall.  Breast reduction from a full C to a B is feasible but would probably not be covered by insurance.  As health care reform continues to be debated, insurance companies are increasingly more stringent about what is considered a covered benefit.  Check your policy and interview several PS who have experience and interest in breast reduction.  Remember it is a "trade-off".  You must be willing to accept scars to achieve a smaller, hopefully shaplier breast.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Breast reduction to reduce one cup size

+1

It is difficult to say without a formal exam.  Certainly a small reduction can be performed in some inidividuals.

Small breast reduction from a C cup down to a B cup

+1

Going from a DD down to a C, it may be that much of your excess is due to skin, and performing a lift  to reduce the redundant skin envelope and elevate the nipple-areolar complex may create the appearance of a small C or B cup. It may be that you require subtle volume reduciton, but it is unlikely that insurance will cover this small  of a reduction.

Cosmetic breast reduction is a wonderful procedure

+1

Its difficult to speak in 'cup' sizes- as you know, different brands of bras will size their bras much differently. Plastic surgeons try to quantify the amount of breast reduced in terms of tissue weight. You are interested in a small reduction, and this is a safe and reasonable procedure to do. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon for an opinion on the type of breast reduction that is best for you.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS