Breast Reduction from DDD to C, Would This Keep Me Proportionate?

I am 5' 1/2'' (dead in the middle can't round it) and my back is constantly pressured and hurting. I weigh about 148-153. Varies on what I eat. And my breasts are size 38DDD. I feel un-proportional for myself. When judging with my friends, my waist size was actually average. And it looks weird to have my breasts so large. In addition to my back hurting, it strains my neck to help keep them up. MY shoulders are a bit broad, but not extremely. Just wondering if it would look right with a size C.

Breast Reduction is Excellent Option- but bra size not a good criterion

+1

Hi there-

It sounds like you may be a great candidate for a breast reduction, and I do believe that the average patient with your complaints and goals would be very pleased with the experience and outcome as long as she mad her choices and decisions appropriately.

On the other hand, it is very difficult to use bra size as a means of communicating your goals, or judging the outcome.

A better way would be for you to develop and communicate to your surgeon a goal for your appearance and proportion. I suspect that if you have an appearance and proportion you like, and your discomfort is relieved or improved significantly, that you won't care what letter is on your bra.

Choose what YOU want NOT what the insurance company demands

+1

Changing from a 38 DDD to a 38 C would require removal of approximately 600 cc's of breast tissue.  However, your goa is to relieve your pain not necessarily remove volume.  There is a new technique which transfers the breast weight from the skin envelope to the underlying muscle.  This technique does not depend on volume removal but weight transfer.  If you think a C would be too small for you and you would prefer a D, this technique may be heplful since only 400 cc's would be removed but yet it would relieve your pain.  Insurance companies determine weight removal based on body surface area.  At 5 1/2 inches and 150 lbs your body surface area is 1.69 meters squared, which would require 540 grams removal.  If you want a D, you would not meet the insurance criteria and would end up paying for it yourself.  I recommend you decide on the size that you want rather than meeting insurance criteria.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

It is very possible that you are a good candidate for a breast reduction.  Without an exam it is difficult to say. Going to a "D" or "C" ois quite possible anything smaller is difficult to attain and provide a good shape.

You should be happy with C cup after breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

You sound like an ideal candidate for a breast reduction.  The vertical (lollipop scar) technique works best for most women.  Decide on size together with plastic surgeon, but C cup probably  good.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast reduction or lift for symmetry proportion and form

+1

Breast reduction is a topic that patients and doctors often have difficulty communicating effectively about.  The degree of ptosis or droopiness is often confused with 'too big'  Breast reductions often leave patients with flat unaesthetic and heavily scarred breasts.  For patients with very large breasts that have descended, I prefer to use a technique that allows restructuring the breast tissues into an aesthetic form up high with superior pole fullness instead of removing large amounts of volume from the breast.  Depending on the shape of the breasts, I prefer to use a modified vertical reduction with a pectoral sliing to create this support.  In longer breasts, I use a technique that I call the 'FEMMA-S' that allows me to use the tissue that is usually thrown away in an augmentation to create a projecting round breast.  Focus on form not size.  In my opinion a wise pattern breast reduction which creates an anchor scar should be used rarely to never.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Breast Reduction and Cup Size?

+1

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

I would caution you about using cup size as your  way of communicating your size goals with your plastic surgeon. As you know, different cup sizes may mean different things to different people and may depend on the specific bra manufacturer.  likewise, “keeping the proportionate”  It is a phrase that may also mean different things to different people and may not be as accurate as you hope it is.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful.   Again, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or " proportionate" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.